A Couple Of Questions About Probiotics

FriendOfTheCatBoys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_1365.JPG Hello all. Friendofthecatboys here, posting on behalf of these two good guys Joe and Mac.

I purchased a probiotic supplement to put in their food. The product is FortiFlora by Purina.

My question is, what is the best way to use it? When is the correct time to add it to the food?

I will often times cook meals for them, microwave existing meals, and prep their meals for the next day or so. Would any of these actions downrade the efficacy of the product, or render it useless? Would cooking/nuking the fortiflora ruin it, and I'm best off mixing it in immediately before serving it to them, or does it not matter? What about not cooking it but pre-mixing it in with their food and allowing it to stay refridgerated for a duration, generally speaking no more than 24 hours.

Thank you in advance from myself and from the boys.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FortiFlora isn't the best probiotic to use. It only has one strain of bacteria. Many people don't like the fact that FortiFlora contains animal digest.

There are other probiotics you can use for cats, cat / pet specific ones and even Human ones. Here are some threads:

Forti-flora and other brands of probiotics for cats
Probiotic - not sure which one to pick!
Cat probiotics
Probiotics Search - Human Grade and CFUs

This is also helpful:

Probiotics for Cats - Why and Which Ones

The easiest way to give a probiotic is to sprinkle it onto food right before feeding the cat. Canned or raw or home cooked food is best to use since powder doesn't stick to dry food. Do not add the probiotic to food that you have to cook or heat up. Heat will affect the probiotic. Refrigeration probably won't affect the probiotic but it's just best to add the probiotic to the food at feeding time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FriendOfTheCatBoys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FortiFlora isn't the best probiotic to use. It only has one strain of bacteria. Many people don't like the fact that FortiFlora contains animal digest.

There are other probiotics you can use for cats, cat / pet specific ones and even Human ones. Here are some threads:

Forti-flora and other brands of probiotics for cats
Probiotic - not sure which one to pick!
Cat probiotics
Probiotics Search - Human Grade and CFUs

This is also helpful:

Probiotics for Cats - Why and Which Ones

The easiest way to give a probiotic is to sprinkle it onto food right before feeding the cat. Canned or raw or home cooked food is best to use since powder doesn't stick to dry food. Do not add the probiotic to food that you have to cook or heat up. Heat will affect the probiotic. Refrigeration probably won't affect the probiotic but it's just best to add the probiotic to the food at feeding time.
Thank you for the info. Going to check out those other products.

I assumed that cooking would destroy it but I'd figure it was worth asking anyway.