A Claustrophobic cat?

kathrynhawkbond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know its normal for humans to be Claustrophobic, but what about cats? Has anyone dealt with a cat who was Claustrophobic? Please give me some ideas on how to handle such a cat. I have an 11 year old female cat who I swear is Claustrophobic. She doesn't like confined places, whether the bathroom just for a few or even the cat carrier.

silverbook

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that is fairly common. My cat dislikes being confined as well. It is rare that he has to be. The only time he is confined is if he is in the carrier going to the vet or if he is put into a bedroom while we bring in groceries etc, so he can't run outside.

If the cat has to be in a carrier for a long period of time, the vet can prescribe a mild tranquilizer to keep her relaxed.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its what I'm thinking of, I usually call it Closed Door Syndrome. Most all the cats I've ever owned can't stand a closed door, especially if they are on the other side that you are on
! Autumn will scratch furiously and yowl if you close a door with her on the wrong side. Its very normal. Cats are independant and don't want to be confined, they want to go and do as they wish. Closed doors are a problem for them.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

If its what I'm thinking of, I usually call it Closed Door Syndrome. Most all the cats I've ever owned can't stand a closed door, especially if they are on the other side that you are on
! Autumn will scratch furiously and yowl if you close a door with her on the wrong side. Its very normal. Cats are independant and don't want to be confined, they want to go and do as they wish. Closed doors are a problem for them.
My Tigger had this to an extreme. He avoided being closed inside a room at all costs. The rare times that I walked into a room with him and closed the door behind me, he would actually freak, try to climb the walls, then start hyper-ventilating. It didn't matter the size of the room - it could be a bathroom or a large bedroom, his reaction was the same. He had the same reaction if you tried to pick him up or confine him on your lap. The first time I tried to get him into a carrier, he left permanent scars on my arm. I actually had to use a humane trap on him once to get him to the vets. He only fell for that once and I had to resort to sedation. For lack of a better name, I called it claustrophobia and I've never seen it so bad in any cat in my life.

sunfloweradp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, funny...My cat looks very similar to yours and she acts the same way.  I went into the restroom and shut the door and she freaked!  I was in there and it was only for a second but she sounded like she was in pain.  I have never had a cat do this before...