A Change

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the outdoor or stray cats that I take care of,suddenly hated it when I picked him up.He's always been confortable with me picking him yo but now that I picked him up he started hissing at me and scratching me.Is he sick or in Pain?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is hard to tell. If he was currently upset by something in the environment, even if you did not see anything out of the ordinary, he certainly could have had what is called redirect aggression. Give him some space and see if you can safely observe him to see if you notice anything or if he gets back to his old self. Be careful....I know you care about these cats but an angry cat can really hurt you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I Will try and let him be for a couple of days.But I'm worried it could also be something he ate when I wasn't here.His stomach feels lumpy and I can feel sonething like a liquid or something moving inside.He wasn't bothered when I massaged his stomach and felt it but when i parte his stomach or just moved my hand a cross he got angry.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Watch to see if he vomits, has diarrhea, or any other symptom of stomach problems. Refusing food, trying to spit something up. If there is an obstruction, it usually goes along with other symptoms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He didn't show any of those symptoms,I gave him food and he happily ate it and didn't spit it out but when I picked him up thats when he got angry.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If he is eating readily, he is not showing signs of any stomach issues, at least not yet. If he seems okay, I would watch him, maybe approach cautiously if he lets you and see what happens. It could be something that just happened once.