A Cat Room Is Not A Prison

2crazykittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is just my opinion but I do not feel that a "cat room" is a prison.
Some may feel differently but I think of it more as a sanctuary for my cats than a cage. My boys since I got them have always had their cat room. It is set up as a place to relax for them with everything they need and more. There is a guest bed, cat tree, litter box, feeding area, tons of toys and even a T.V so us humans can even enjoy sitting in there if we like.

My kitties are usually in their room at night when I am sleeping and partially through the day when I am cleaning or not at home to watch them. It keeps them safe from getting into things that could otherwise hurt them like cord chewing, eating possible foreign objects and the like. It also saves me from worrying that they will destroy my furniture and decorative items. I guess this set up would depend on the cat though, and for my boys this seems to be something that fits them quite well since they are used to the routine.

They are welcome to come out an join the family for several hours a day around 8-9 hours or so, and they are certainly not made to stay cooped up in their room for too long or all day. I have had folks ask me why I have a cat room, and well all I can say is it is just the way things work for my home and my boys don't seem to mind it at all. I also sometimes need a break too especially when they are tearing through the house and being naughty. They are still young and like to get into things they really should not.

When they are out of their room we spend time cuddling and playing, sometimes even napping together on the couch. When it is time for bed, my boys welcome spending the night in "their" room following their bedtime meal.

I guess it is all in how you look at it. Some people refuse the thought of confining their cat/s to a room, while others don't see it as a cruel thing at all. Like I said, it depends on the cat and the person I suppose.

Just my thoughts on it all. anyone else have a cat room of their own that would like to share their thoughts? Or would anyone like to share their thoughts on why they don't think a cat room is a good thing?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, of course it's not a prison!! Everyone has a different life situation.

We had three indoor/outdoor cats with the run of the house and we didn't worry about them when we were at work or anything.

But when we took in four elder kitties last year, everything changed. They are older, ill, indoor only cats. Two of them don't get along with our cats. So we created their own space for them. When we're at work, all four of them are in there, so we don't have to worry about them getting out the cat door or fighting with our resident cats. They also have access to an outdoor catio we built them.

When I get home from work, two of them get out for the evening and usually spend the night out with us.

The other two live in the cat room/catio exclusively. But I go in there every night to watch TV while I brush them and spend time with them. It's adjacent to our bedroom, so some nights I shut out the resident cats and let the newbies sleep with me in our bedroom.

One of them is deaf and prefers to stay in a smaller, safe place (I know this because after he went deaf, he started getting agitated when we'd bring him out in the rest of the house). the other one is real skittish and also prefers to stay in her safe space. And they're friends so they keep each other company. Plus their two buddies spend the day time with them.

It sounds a bit complicated, :) but it works for us and for the cats, and that's what's important--not what other people think of the arrangement!

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We live in a one bedroom apartment, but if we had a bigger home I would definitely set up a cat room! I don't know if I would keep them there during the night, but I would see the room as a place they enjoy and benefit from, not like a punishment.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see it as a 'prison' either, they can get out at times. As long as you interact with them, and you do, it is a safe haven for them to be in. It sure beats trying to survive outside or being at the shelter! Good luck, and safe kitty keeping!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2crazykittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am certainly glad that others feel the same as I do. I have literally had some people tell me that it is not right to have a cat locked up in a room.
I feel the same as it regards the fact that they are well taken care of, get lots of love and attention, regular meals, a warm bed and free time to roam the house. I used to have another cat who passed sometime ago that did not require her own special room. She was so well behaved that I never needed to worry about her safety or the safety of my belongings.
My boys are another story though.

I agree with all of your posts above, every cat has different needs, and some require their own set up. I don't think I could live without a "cat room" now.

murr7maggiom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think it is a prison either. I've had to confine our 14 year old Maggie to our bedroom when we got Murray three years ago. Murray was in his terrible twos and immediately chased and attacked Maggie after they were introduced. We've done almost every Jackson Galaxy trick to make it work. Maggie just won't warm up to Murray. He is much better now but I can't turn my back on him.

Maggie has slept on our bed for 13 years. She also is trained to a harness and leash for occasional walks outside. She got along very well with our previous cat, Leonard. He was a laid back tabby who only wanted to steal her food. Leonard passed away a few weeks before Murray was adopted.

Maggie seems content in the bedroom. She and Murray talk to each other through the plantation door but he can't get to her. She even seems to tease him!

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree, not a prison. There are many reasons why a cat room is a great tool to have. If I had a two bedroom apartment my second room would be a cat room. As is my cats spend a decent amount of time in my bedroom locked in because of my roommates dog (we've worked it out to be as fair as we can but the dog is not trustworthy and they are only living here temporarily so we make do for now). They have their food, litter, scratch post and tower so they certainly aren't suffering in any way (though they do try to tell me otherwise lol. They can't bear to be in here when they know I'm somewhere else in the apartment so I spend most of my time in here with them. )

2crazykittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a similar issue with the resident dog. She was here first and has made it very clear that she wants nothing to do with the cats.
Which is actually unfortunate because I was hoping that it wouldn't be that way. I have always had a cat room set up for the boys, and they never seem to mind being in there. So I suppose it all works out for us. Everyone gets a good fair amount of time to socialize and exercise, so It seems to all be well.

Another good thing about the cat room is I never have to worry about them getting into things they shouldn't be into, the litter stays confined to that room which is another perk.

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2crazykittens, I'm glad I'm not the only one!!! The dog is only here for 2.5 more months so I'm sure it will fly by, and the girls don't mind being in if I'm in with them :) 

2crazykittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats seem to do very well with their own room.
I am glad too that I am not the only one that thinks that this is not such a bad idea. I guess my boys are used to it, after all they have had this set up since the day they were adopted into my home.

elizzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I originally felt that way when we adopted Sonny last week, I couldn't stand the thought of him being in there and us out "here". But actually, he's really enjoyed it. Despite his awful first night with us, he's pretty happy in his room.

I've learned a lot about his habits and that he's really chilled out and wants no trouble (with our other two resident cats). He will meow at the now screened in door to be let out to explore. I will open it up while the other two are in their rooms so he can explore. When he's done, he goes back in his room and naps.

My hubby and I go in there constantly to check on him, scratch his head, give him treats. He also has window perch that he absolutely loves. Once the introductions are successful in the household, I will definitely be keeping that "his" room so he can have a safe place.

flame86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,i am new to this site and to cats.I am glad to know that other cat owners feel like this too.I will be getting a 2month old kitten today .And since i have a dog who hates any other animal ,the kitten will be with me in my room. I will be with her for 18-20hr a day......Its untill i get my own place.

meandthegov

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like the way you have framed this topic. I also live in a studio with an energetic orange cat, but luckily I have a large walk-in closet where I have a tree, his litterbox, a second food and water dish, a bed and toys. It's been a lifesaver to train him to sleep in there at night (he's a head-sitter and it drives me nuts when i'm trying to SLEEP). I was watching an episode of Cat from Hell where this couple had created a "cat-jail" at night for their cat, but I really disagreed with how it was portrayed.

I got my cat from a shelter and whenever I put him to bed for the night I compare his room to the cold cage he would have been at. and when he meows to get out, i remind him that he could still be there!!!!!!!!!!!! 

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to move back in with my parents six years ago, and I brought my three cats with me. They have a cat and unfortunately one of my cats viciously attacks her when they are in the same room. I practically live in my bedroom (it's pretty big) and have all their stuff, like litterboxes, food and water, toys, in my room. During the day they are free to roam the house but at night they stay confined in my room.

I have a pain and sleep disorder so I'm mostly in my bedroom. Even when the door is open, all three of my cats always are where I am. I don't think they mind being in one room for long periods of time.

2crazykittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I feel a lot of people "humanize" their pets.
 They seem to think that animals feel the way humans do.  We thinks that animals will be unhappy or upset in certain situations like being in a cat room maybe because we might not want to be confined to one room. In my opinion, animals seem to do quite well being confined to one area provided they have all that they need including human interaction.

I also think that a spare room/ laundry room or large walk in closet is a great tool to have. It keeps the cat safe from other house pets that may not get along, provides a safe place to rest, and gives the owner much needed rest at times. My kittens and dog all live on a pretty good schedule. They do spend many hours of the day in their cat room, but do get anywhere from 6-8 hours a day to roam the house and get some playtime in. Most of the time they sleep but that is just what kitties do.

I never need to worry about their safety when they are in their cat room, I have made sure to keep it very kitten safe.  The rest of the home however it is a safe place, but little kittens need to be watched just in case they get into things they shouldn't.

flame86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Got my kitten and it likes being in my room..........i tried taking out of the room and it hated it

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Unfortunately I feel a lot of people "humanize" their pets.
 They seem to think that animals feel the way humans do.  We thinks that animals will be unhappy or upset in certain situations like being in a cat room maybe because we might not want to be confined to one room. In my opinion, animals seem to do quite well being confined to one area provided they have all that they need including human interaction.
Oh I know I for one am very guilty of anthropomorphizing (attributing human feelings) to my two cats! 
 It's definitely a fine line as they are living beings and of course feel things, they just may not feel them in the same way we would. 

I think with this comment you really hit on the key point- it's not about the size of the space but about having all their needs met. And, in this situation, the critical one is human interaction. Personally I think the majority of cats would prefer to be confined to a small space and have their person(s) around than to have a mansion to roam but be all alone. So long as the space contains their necessities, provides some enrichment, and they aren't just abandoned then I think it's one of those situations where size doesn't really matter. 
 The other thing to remember is that they only know what they have been exposed to. So, if every night they go into a room to sleep that just becomes the norm. The only time these situations get tricky is when you have a cat who is used to having a lot of space or doing something specific (like sleeping on the bed every night) and then try to confine them. I do think the majority adapt but it oftentimes takes a lot of time and patience. 

Definitely an interesting topic to think about. And, I'm actually surprised that there haven't been any dissenters so far. I know there are a lot of people who believe that confining a cat indoors regardless of the size is cruel so I can only imagine what they might think about just one room! 

erinradfeeley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree. A cat room isn't a prison. I have 7 of the lively guys, an 12 yo, 8 yo, 4 yo, and 4 almost 1 year olds. During the day, they put themselves in my son's room and lounge in his bed and window. At nite, they follow me since I'm normally up at that time. When we move again, I plan on having a room solely for them, with cat trees, shelves, litter boxes, a window, and all their toys. There will be a baby gate across the door. That way when they want to avoid the kids or the new dog we will get at that time, they can. I see nothing wrong with a cat room as long as it's a safe spot and not a punishment.

katocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it would seem that we are in the minority here  on this subject,
 I feel that it is cruel to confine your cat or cats to one room in the house, unless you have no other choice in the matter. We have had six cats so far and they have all had free range of our house

I think they need the extra space for playing ,exercising and viewing the outside world from a different window in the house.