A Cat Mystery

jonny danger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help with my "lost" cat.

She was born in this house 8 months ago. She later liked to roam around at night but always came home to eat and sleep.

Then she stopped coming home. A few days gone missing I hear her crying in my neighbor's back patio. The house is vacant, new, for sale. It has a very tall wall around it, prolly 11 feet. There are two young trees in the yard, neither of which reaches the top of the wall or even close.

Unless she can scale a smooth wall (no steps of any kind to aid her entering or exiting) all I can assume is that she lives there or CAN scale the wall and comes crying for food every night.

All the windows and doors are closed in the vacant house. There is no source of water. I lob food over the wall every night. Been doing that for a month and a half.

I hung a sheet over the wall thinking she'd climb it .. no tamale. Twice I've entered the property, she's nowhere to be seen.

I'm too advanced in years to manage entering the property at night with a ladder. So I've never seen her, only hear her. She looked newly pregnant the last time I did see her.

Questions: Can cats scale a smooth 11-foot wall? Is it possible she has a litter living in a hole under the house? Even if she is able to come and go at will why does she bother to enter the property just to receive food when she could simply come home? She's never been mistreated, that's for sure.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you contact the agent selling the house and ask permission to look around the property. Do you have someone who could help with the search.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonny danger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I did that. They weren't anxious to help.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are there any animal societies you could approach for help.
If I were in your position I would contact the house owner or seller again and insist that they allow you access to the property. Pad it out a little and say that you think the cat may be injured and if they wont allow access that you will have no alternative but to contact the appropriate authority.

jonny danger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. Yes that would work were I in the USA. There're no such organizations round here.

The owner lives in another state. The realtor is about 30 miles from here. No way they are going to travel that distance, open up the house, and let me search for a cat.

My other neighbor tried to help by lowering himself into the patio and looking around. All he saw were closed windows and doors.

To put me at ease all I need to know is if a cat can climb an 11-foot wall. Maybe she is free and just formed the habit of entering the patio 'cause that's were the food comes flying at her after a few meows. She doesn't want to come home because she's found an environment that suits her better.

Logically she has to have a water source. If she can't enter the house to drink from a toilet I can only assume she lives somewhere else. But then last week some people came to do some painting and said they saw her, not in the house, but in the back yard. They invited me in to look around. She was nowhere in sight.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are able to climb a wall of 11ft and higher. There are several videos on the internet showing them go just that. Try putting food on top of the wall if that is possible. If she has had kittens over there I doubt she will leave them. Please keep us updated.

jonny danger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, thanks. Just yesterday a vet suggested I put an open can of tuna atop the wall. He also said a cat cannot climb a wall of 11 feet. Well he's batting 500.

So if she has a litter somewhere she won't be coming home any time soon. I'll just continue lobbing her food.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats used to climb the 7ft smooth wall at the back of my house without any problems. There are videos showing cats climbing up the side of a house to get into an open bedroom window so 11ft should present no problems. I hope she decides to pay you a visit soon. Please let us know when she does. I hope your throwing arm is in good shape.

jonny danger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Funny you should mention my throwing arm. Fact is I miss quite often. Then I have to fight off my dog who has learned to snatch the food as it falls on our side of the wall.

I'm thinking maybe I should stop throwing the food in hopes she's come to the front door out of hunger desperation. But it's a difficult decision as the babies might suffer the lack of nutrition. It could be too there are no babies.