A bit of help with paint shop pro 8 please

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
title says it all
I have just downloaded paint shop pro 8 as I want to have a go at making some siggys, well I am totally stuck, how do you put all the pictures on one page and get them to sit next to each other instead of on top of each other? Help I really want to have a play about with this and I am totally baffled, thanks in advance. x

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Open the pictures you want to work with and use your mouse - click the blue at the top (where your picture title is) to drag them. Paint Shop Pro 8 for Dummies is a huge help. The version of the book (8, 9, etc.) really doesn't matter for the basics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still totally lost lol, is there an easier thing to make siggys with? x

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe

Have you tried Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/downloads/)? It is absolutely legal & free
Also, if you have pictures in photobucket at all, you can do basics there as well. If you click to edit the picture, options will pull up -- including adding text.
Thankyou, I will try gimp. x

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little warning, though. Many people hate the layout of gimp. You'll face the same problem you did with PSP unless you experiment. I suspect that's the real problem here, you just aren't very practiced when it comes to working with image editing photos.

There's really only one solution. Experiment. As long as you don't save over a picture accidentally everything can be undone or deleted. Don't be afraid to try things out. Everyone has to figure this stuff out.

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you do need help in Paint Shop Pro, I can help. To open the pictures simply go to 'File' at the top of the screen, click it and a drop-down bar should appear, then click open and it should open up the photos. If you want to change through photos, got to 'Windows' at the top and click it, go down and it should say which one is open, you can then change it. To make signature backgrounds, all you have to do is look at where it says colors and swatches. First, press 'File' at the top of the screen and press New. A window should appear saying something about dimensions. Make the dimensions 550 x 134. It should then open. Now go to where it says colors and swatches and select a pattern. On the left-side of the screen, change to the brush or fill icon. Then simply go over the area. To mask out parts of images, go to the image and go to the left-side of the screen and choose an icon that should either look like a lasso or a box. Then go up to the part at the top where it shows the lasso or box icon and choose Point-to-Point in the Selection box. Then you are ready to mask, all you have to do is select the tool and go around the part of the photo you want on your signature. When you have finished masking, right-click on the mouse and it should show your selection, then cut or copy the photo. You may have to resize but I'll only go into that if you have to. Then change the window to the signature base and paste the masked out part of the image. Then if you want, you can add text by pressing the A icon on the left-side. Simply choose the part where you want text and then click. A box should then show up, type your text in there. Then press Apply. Then go to 'File' and Save. Save to wherever you want and then upload to Photobucket or Imageshack and post the image here. If this is too hard to follow, I could make you a video or give you lots of screenshots. I really hope this helps,

Jackz, Jazzy & Ginga.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou so much, I shall have a go tonight.xx

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

Hi,
title says it all
I have just downloaded paint shop pro 8 as I want to have a go at making some siggys, well I am totally stuck, how do you put all the pictures on one page and get them to sit next to each other instead of on top of each other? Help I really want to have a play about with this and I am totally baffled, thanks in advance. x
I have a whole series of "101 Tutorials" on using Paint Shop Pro. It's done using version 8.1, but should work in PSP 7 and higher. However, there are some newer tools in version 10 and up that aren't obviously covered.

http://www.lofty-designs.net/

Click on "Enter" read and accept the terms. Then click on "Tutorials" in the sidebar.

There is also a whole bunch of artwork that you can download and use for your sigs and other tags etc. Just click "Tubes" in the sidebar.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JazzyTheCat

If you do need help in Paint Shop Pro, I can help. To open the pictures simply go to 'File' at the top of the screen, click it and a drop-down bar should appear, then click open and it should open up the photos. If you want to change through photos, got to 'Windows' at the top and click it, go down and it should say which one is open, you can then change it. To make signature backgrounds, all you have to do is look at where it says colors and swatches. First, press 'File' at the top of the screen and press New. A window should appear saying something about dimensions. Make the dimensions 550 x 134. It should then open. Now go to where it says colors and swatches and select a pattern. On the left-side of the screen, change to the brush or fill icon. Then simply go over the area. To mask out parts of images, go to the image and go to the left-side of the screen and choose an icon that should either look like a lasso or a box. Then go up to the part at the top where it shows the lasso or box icon and choose Point-to-Point in the Selection box. Then you are ready to mask, all you have to do is select the tool and go around the part of the photo you want on your signature. When you have finished masking, right-click on the mouse and it should show your selection, then cut or copy the photo. You may have to resize but I'll only go into that if you have to. Then change the window to the signature base and paste the masked out part of the image. Then if you want, you can add text by pressing the A icon on the left-side. Simply choose the part where you want text and then click. A box should then show up, type your text in there. Then press Apply. Then go to 'File' and Save. Save to wherever you want and then upload to Photobucket or Imageshack and post the image here. If this is too hard to follow, I could make you a video or give you lots of screenshots. I really hope this helps,

Jackz, Jazzy & Ginga.
LOL I may need a video, do you know I am usually pretty good at workin things out, I have real brain fuzz!! x

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I keep getting stuck on is when I go to paste a photo on it says paste as?What do I paste it as because it keeps getting stuck on the other photos,omg shall I just give up
x

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you hit paste it will paste into whatever you have currently selected. If you want to make a new picture you have to go to File>New project/image. Choose the size, it'll make it, then select it (click on it's title bar), and then go up to paste.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

When you hit paste it will paste into whatever you have currently selected. If you want to make a new picture you have to go to File>New project/image. Choose the size, it'll make it, then select it (click on it's title bar), and then go up to paste.
Thankyou hun, gosh I feel so
x

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have worked out how to do it, thanks so much but just one more thing I need to re-size the picture, when I go on to image at the top and then re-size it says I don't have enough memory to perform the operation? x

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I've finished it but it won't let me save it properely, it saves as paint shop and I have to go to paint shop to open it, therefore cannot upload it to photobucket :-( any ideas please? xx

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You need to save the image as a .jpg. Open the file and click "save as". At the bottom it says "Save as type" you need to scroll down to jpg. Name the file and click save... You should be able to upload it after it is a jpg.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou so much, but I've lost it now
I closed paint shop and its gone :-( any idea how I get it back? Starting to think I am just useless
x

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've done it, yay
I might upgrade my paint shop now
Is there more effects on paint shop pro x3? x

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it has more features, it's just the program I've adapted to. LOL

I just wanted to make a teeny tiny suggestion. When you are selecting around your image, try to get as tight to the kitty as possible and then you want to feather the image. It makes the lines disappear and looks more "natural".