A bit of Aegean in her perhaps?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost certainly not, as Aegean cats are a landrace native to Greece, so why would they be in the US?

Shs does have very unusual coloring though. I think she's a ticked torbie, possibly dilute (or the ticking just makes the coloring look softer). Very pretty!

Do you know anything about her history?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
This is a new one for me. I had to look up Aegean cats. I found a number of websites describing the cats, but I think most of them used the same source since the wording is similar.

In any case, compiling the information from the various articles, I think it's highly unlikely that your cat is Aegean. The main reason is that the articles indicate anyone outside of Greece who has an Aegean cat almost certainly brought the cat from the island where they developed.

Your kitty's color/pattern do match the description of Aegean cats. However, this pattern is not exclusive to that breed. It occurs in both a number of pedigreed breeds and the domestic population.

One area where your cat does not match the Aegean cat description is in the coat length. The articles that even mention it say the coat is semi-longhair with ear tufts.

What is your kitty's name? She very pretty, no matter what her history is.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
As a natural cat breed, Aegeans have a moderate body type and come in a wide variety of colors and patterns, which means that many cats may resemble them. It is highly unlikely, however, that your pretty girl has Aegean influence, because they are found in their natural state only in Greece, and they aren't bred anywhere else, because they aren't recognized by any major breed registries. I agree with W Willowy , that she would be described as a dilute ticked torbie Domestic Shorthair.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful!

I would describe your cat as a brown patched tabby and white (torbie and white) domestic shorthair. She doesn't appear to me to be dilute (blue), since I see that she has black stripes on her tail, as well as other black stripes and markings.

She has an indistinct tabby pattern with a lot of background ticking... I am not sure whether she is technically a ticked tabby, or a broken mackerel tabby with a lot of ticking, since spots and stripes on her body are vaguely visible in the pictures. Sometimes a cat with one copy of the ticked tabby gene will have an intermediate pattern between striped/spotted and ticked. Random-bred domestic cats often have a lot of ticking in their pattern compared to pedigreed cats, so it's not always easy to see the pattern clearly. Patched tabby / torbie cats can also have a more indistinct pattern, because the pattern is obscured by the mixing of brown tabby and red tabby patches.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she is a stunning dsh brown patched tabico (tabby with white). Patched tabbies can really be a hodge potch of every color and make zero sense lol.