A battle with a rodent ulcer: how effective are allergy shots?

fluffnuggetmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My poor 4yo male kitty has had a stubborn rodent ulcer for a little over a year now. I'm convinced now that it's environmental allergy-related-- he's currently on a hydrolyzed protein wet food diet and has been on a hydrolyzed protein for over a year. The ulcer responded very well for the first 7-8 months with occasional rounds of oral prednisolone. After the ulcer seemed to calm down, we weaned him off the steroids for a few months, but this past August, the ulcer came back within a week or two with a vengeance. The vet gave him a steroid shot & antibiotic shot, which seemed to help, but later in September, the ulcer came back (and even more severely). So I started him back on a steroid, which again helped calm it down a bit. In the last couple of weeks, the tips of his ears started drooping and he seemed lethargic. Based on my research, I think it was from the steroid. I started weaning him off of it, and sure enough, his ears went back to normal and he seems energetic again.

I've got an appointment with a vet dermatologist in a couple of weeks, but, boy, his ulcer is bad. His poor lips are becoming really deformed. It looks challenging for him to eat. I was out of town one weekend and he didn't receive his steroid. When I got back, the ulcer was to the point that it would bleeding profusely each time he eats. That went away after I restarted the steroid.

It's really heartbreaking because when he's not eating, he seems fine. He's so loving and interactive.

I've requested an allergy test when I see the dermatologist - I feel like allergy shots may be his last resort. Anyone else had a similar experience? Does anyone have any comments about the effectiveness of allergy shots?

Thanks, all!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I really have no worthy input to give you, but just wanted to wish you the best with getting to the bottom of this with your little guy.

I do know that he is supposed to be off steroids for a period of time before dermatology testing can be done. And, that this type of issue can also be brought on by plastic bowls, or even other bowls that end up harvesting bacteria. Dental issues? Cat litter? Have you tried routine use of L-lysine and/or colloidal silver (both orally and topically - the topical can help with discomfort)? am sure you already know these things...

I did hear that there are disposable bowls (I think some sort of paper) that can be bought and then tossed with each use.

Have you also considered consulting with an internist - to go above and beyond just the dermatological aspect?

There are also a series of previous posts on the topic of rodent ulcers, in case you might want to peruse them. It's a lot to go through, but maybe if you have the time you will find one or two that might be helpful.
Search Results for Query: rodent ulcer

Here is to hoping that other members will come along soon that can offer better help than I am able to do. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did some quick checking, and every article I found links rodent ulcer to allergies, so you are definitely onto the right path. Now, I cannot tell you about how effective the shots might be, but the dermatologist should be able to, or to recommend other viable treatments.

I'll be lighting a candle for your boy as soon as I post this. BTW...what is his name? I don't want to be calling him "Whatshisface."
00LitCandle.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fluffnuggetmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for your responses and for more suggestions. I am thankful for thecatsite because it does allow me to see that others have had similar issues. And I have tried the things listed above except L-Lysine and colloidal silver. I had another cat that didn't respond to L-Lysine, but it's definitely worth a shot. I have read success stories from cat parents using colloidal silver - so thank you again for that reminder.

It's comforting to know that someone who has also read about rodent ulcers came to a similar conclusion about their cause. You're right about the dermatologist: I'm hoping for more answers from him in a week. I appreciate your response because I think I really just need some support at this point. My real intent behind this post is receiving some support or someone to chat with who is going through something similar... because, boy... allergies in pets is a journey.

My furball is named Benji, but I also call him Fluff Nugget. He's really soft and fluffy and kind of small... resembling a nugget. :) He's pictured in my profile pic. He has this characteristic little black spot that looks like goatee -- it also makes him look like he's making a derpy face all the time. He is kind of derpy. But a super sweet boy.

Holistic Cat Mama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My poor 4yo male kitty has had a stubborn rodent ulcer for a little over a year now. I'm convinced now that it's environmental allergy-related-- he's currently on a hydrolyzed protein wet food diet and has been on a hydrolyzed protein for over a year. The ulcer responded very well for the first 7-8 months with occasional rounds of oral prednisolone. After the ulcer seemed to calm down, we weaned him off the steroids for a few months, but this past August, the ulcer came back within a week or two with a vengeance. The vet gave him a steroid shot & antibiotic shot, which seemed to help, but later in September, the ulcer came back (and even more severely). So I started him back on a steroid, which again helped calm it down a bit. In the last couple of weeks, the tips of his ears started drooping and he seemed lethargic. Based on my research, I think it was from the steroid. I started weaning him off of it, and sure enough, his ears went back to normal and he seems energetic again.

I've got an appointment with a vet dermatologist in a couple of weeks, but, boy, his ulcer is bad. His poor lips are becoming really deformed. It looks challenging for him to eat. I was out of town one weekend and he didn't receive his steroid. When I got back, the ulcer was to the point that it would bleeding profusely each time he eats. That went away after I restarted the steroid.

It's really heartbreaking because when he's not eating, he seems fine. He's so loving and interactive.

I've requested an allergy test when I see the dermatologist - I feel like allergy shots may be his last resort. Anyone else had a similar experience? Does anyone have any comments about the effectiveness of allergy shots?

Thanks, all!
Poo baby! My cat recently had that. Since I have found over the years that steroids and antibiotics seem to make my cats worse, I stay clear of Western medical Veterinarians (unless it's an emergency) and I treat and prevent holistically for any type of infection and every single cat has gotten better within days from bladder infections to URIs to feline herpes and calcivirus. For the rodent ulcers It wasn't holistic but I did it without harmful steroid or antibiotics. I gave my cat Zyrtec! Zyrtec comes in 5 and 10 milligram (mg) tablets. Purchase the 5 mg tablets for cats. Only use plain Zyrtec (cetirizine) for cats. NEVER use Zyrtec-D due to the potential for serious side effects!
The dose for cats is 5 mg per day. The dose can be split in two by giving 2.5 mg (1/2 tablet) twice daily. I also bought Transfer Factor Plus which boosts the immune system 437%! He cleared up within 5 days! He was eating normally within 2 days! I have some rescues with the Herpes virus so I give it to all of them. The sneezing, runny nose and eyes also cleared quickly. If I don't have Transfer Factor for bladder infections and URIs I have successfully cleared completely with Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. 1/4 tsp diluted with 1/2-3/4 tsp water or tuna juice (tuna juice works best) then mix in food twice daily. It has never failed me!
Rodent Ulcers could be caused from eating or drinking out of plastic bowls. It could also be caused from eating dry kibble. Especially dry kibble that contains any corn, wheat, gluten, or cellulose.

That 2 week antibiotic shot made my cat go blind! The steroids killed my friend's cat. Regular antibiotics always made my cats sicker and if it did help it took a long time so it most likely wasn't even the antibiotic that worked but the illness finally ram its course. Since switching to holistic treatments like I said, it has worked everytime without fail!

Note- I am not a Veterinarian. The advice was initially given to me by a Naturopathic Veterinarian and based on many years of experience I can say it works beautifully.

Holistic Cat Mama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20200907_194926_(1).jpg
20200911_013542~2.jpg
20200919_005702~3.jpg

This is my Mujin with the rodent ulcers. Treated for 5 days once a day with 5mg Zyrtec. He didn't get the Transfer Factor (see my last reply) until the 5th day but he was almost clear that day! Pic one was the day we started with Zyrtec. Pic two was 3 days later and pic 3 was 11 days after the sores appeared!

tzufangw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 357871View attachment 357872View attachment 357873
This is my Mujin with the rodent ulcers. Treated for 5 days once a day with 5mg Zyrtec. He didn't get the Transfer Factor (see my last reply) until the 5th day but he was almost clear that day! Pic one was the day we started with Zyrtec. Pic two was 3 days later and pic 3 was 11 days after the sores appeared!
Poo baby! My cat recently had that. Since I have found over the years that steroids and antibiotics seem to make my cats worse, I stay clear of Western medical Veterinarians (unless it's an emergency) and I treat and prevent holistically for any type of infection and every single cat has gotten better within days from bladder infections to URIs to feline herpes and calcivirus. For the rodent ulcers It wasn't holistic but I did it without harmful steroid or antibiotics. I gave my cat Zyrtec! Zyrtec comes in 5 and 10 milligram (mg) tablets. Purchase the 5 mg tablets for cats. Only use plain Zyrtec (cetirizine) for cats. NEVER use Zyrtec-D due to the potential for serious side effects!
The dose for cats is 5 mg per day. The dose can be split in two by giving 2.5 mg (1/2 tablet) twice daily. I also bought Transfer Factor Plus which boosts the immune system 437%! He cleared up within 5 days! He was eating normally within 2 days! I have some rescues with the Herpes virus so I give it to all of them. The sneezing, runny nose and eyes also cleared quickly. If I don't have Transfer Factor for bladder infections and URIs I have successfully cleared completely with Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. 1/4 tsp diluted with 1/2-3/4 tsp water or tuna juice (tuna juice works best) then mix in food twice daily. It has never failed me!
Rodent Ulcers could be caused from eating or drinking out of plastic bowls. It could also be caused from eating dry kibble. Especially dry kibble that contains any corn, wheat, gluten, or cellulose.

That 2 week antibiotic shot made my cat go blind! The steroids killed my friend's cat. Regular antibiotics always made my cats sicker and if it did help it took a long time so it most likely wasn't even the antibiotic that worked but the illness finally ram its course. Since switching to holistic treatments like I said, it has worked everytime without fail!

Note- I am not a Veterinarian. The advice was initially given to me by a Naturopathic Veterinarian and based on many years of experience I can say it works beautifully.
Hi there!!! I am new to the site and was looking for info on using Zyertec with Rodent Ulcer so I came across your post. My cat got 2 steroid shots about 6 weeks apart. Each time the ulcer on his lip will heal and then start to appear again at the end of 5th week. I am going to start trying zyertec and was just curious if you continued to use it after everything healed up for Mujin? or did you stop once it's all healed up? Did it ever come back again for you? I hope someone will see this post and give me some answers...Thanks!

TF

purrs123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there!!! I am new to the site and was looking for info on using Zyertec with Rodent Ulcer so I came across your post. My cat got 2 steroid shots about 6 weeks apart. Each time the ulcer on his lip will heal and then start to appear again at the end of 5th week. I am going to start trying zyertec and was just curious if you continued to use it after everything healed up for Mujin? or did you stop once it's all healed up? Did it ever come back again for you? I hope someone will see this post and give me some answers...Thanks!

TF
Hi,
I am also on this thread in hopes of finding out what works for rodent ulcers. My cat Hazel (on the left in the profile pic) has been getting rodent ulcers seasonally for a couple of years now. I tried Zyrtec and it had no effect. I tried a limited diet with novel proteins and that didn't work. Her ulcers seem seasonal (spring & fall) and not related to diet. Both cats share water and food bowls and my other cat Ruby does not get these ulcers (Ruby is Hazel's mom). All bowls are either glass or ceramic. I got Hazel tested for environmental allergies and she did test positive for pollens, molds and also mosquito bites. (she's indoor-only but during the summer after the rains start I do get a mosquito or two in the house at times). I'll attach her allergy test results.
I did get rid of all my indoor houseplants in case the molds in the soil were contributing to her allergies. I also am keeping the windows closed most of the time and I have an air purifier on nearly 24/7. It's still unclear if that is helping.

In the past when she would first get an ulcer, I rushed her to the vet to get oral prednisolone and an antibiotic injection which worked very well to get rid of the ulcer and had no side effects as far as I could tell. But she is so difficult to get into the carrier and gets so stressed out by a trip to the vet that I'm waiting this time to see if the ulcer goes away on its own.

I was hoping someone would have posted a comment about whether allergy shots work or not for rodent ulcers (aka EGC). It seems like an ordeal to put her through all that seeing how stressed she gets going to the vet, when I don't even know if it will work. I can tell you that I got allergy shots myself for a year and they did nothing. Same with my dad. We both quit getting allergy shots. I think that if allergy shots worked well for EGC there would be posts all over the internet about it, but there aren't.
IMG_5691.JPG
IMG_5696.JPG
Hazel allergy results.PNG

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
purrs123 purrs123 - since Hazel already has another rodent ulcer, see if you can get the vet to prescribe something over the phone, that you can pick up from them without a vet visit - assuming this vet is familiar with her history. I don't know how uncomfortable rodent ulcers are, but if I had one and knew there was something I could take to get rid of it, I would do it and not wait it out.

Maybe the vet would be willing to allow you to do this seasonally for her? Have you talked to the vet about trying some allergy shots - not necessarily now, but in the future? Although, I tend to agree with you from what I have read, it doesn't seem allergy shots are that effective.

Last edited:

purrs123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
purrs123 purrs123 - since Hazel already has another rodent ulcer, see if you can get the vet to prescribe something over the phone, that you can pick up from them without a vet visit - assuming this vet is familiar with her history. I don't know how uncomfortable rodent ulcers are, but if I had one and knew there was something I could take to get rid of it, I would do it and not wait it out.

Maybe the vet would be willing to allow you to do this seasonally for her? Have you talked to the vet about trying some allergy shots - not necessarily now, but in the future? Although, I tend to agree with you from what I have read, it doesn't seem allergy shots are that effective.
Well, just going off of Hazel's past experiences I do think the ulcer will go away on its own. Steroids and antibiotics every 6 months are not good for her so if she can get by without them, it would be for the best. I would do the same thing if I was the one with the ulcer.

The vet already has tried to push allergy shots and I think it would be just too difficult to do and probably not effective. That was the whole reason for replying on this thread...to find out if allergy shots work.

The swelling on Hazel's chin is starting to go down already so maybe the ulcer is starting to go away. I am keeping a close eye on it. If it gets worse I will have to call the vet and maybe they can just either look at photos of her or do a televisit via video. I did get a little bit of an attitude from one of the places when I mentioned how difficult it is to get her in the carrier and how stressed she gets, implying I was just being lazy or neglectful. I don't like or trust any of the vets around here, but that is what I'm stuck with.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
purrs123 purrs123 - I did search this site relative to rodent ulcers and allergy shots and came up pretty empty. Most of what I saw was exactly how your cat has been treated in the past with antibiotics and steroids. I have included a link below to previous threads on rodent ulcers in general, so if you are inclined to do so, you can peruse those for any possible 'leads'. There are many that probably don't apply to your situation, however.

That is too bad about the vets' reactions. When there is a recurrent issue and it has had success with a recurrent solution, the vets should be willing to treat as such, without reacting with disdain about not having the cat brought into their office every time. But that is just my opinion.
Search Results for Query: rodent ulcers | TheCatSite

Last edited:

purrs123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help. I had searched TCS for the same thing. Oh well. I agree about the vets. They just passed a law here in AZ that allows vets to do telemedicine so maybe that will work out for me and Hazie.