A bad day for Tammat.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband says " you always get carried away". Well yes I do, but let's not tell him that I agree with him. Today " I got carried away" and it was a disaster!!!
Ok so this year my youngest child is going to school and I've been trying to think of ways that I could earn money from home. My brilliant idea was to open an upmarket "boutique" style cat boarding facility. Firstly I went to my local council to see if it was permitted where I live. I needed to see the Shire Planner but he was on lunch break and would be back in 30 minutes. I found it difficult to just wait for half an hour so I thought I would go have a look at sheds- after all I would need a building of some sort to house my fabulous cattery. The man at the shed place was very helpful but as I left I reversed straight into his shed and did a substantial amount of damage to my car. YIKES!! My husband asked why was I even at the shed place? And when I told him his reply was " as per usual you were getting carried away". So anyway I did get to speak to the Shire Planner and a cat boarding facility is not permitted in the area where I live.
My dreams are shattered and so is the back of my car all because I got "carried away". Please tell me you've backed into something stupid to make me feel better!!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  If it makes you feel better I'll share what I did last week.  My Mom and Step-dad bought my DD her first big girl bike but it was raining the day of her party.  So DH backed my car out of the garage so she could ride it in there.  DS needed something to do so my Mom grabbed a ride on fire truck that has been passed down from my 11 year old nice; making my kids the 4th and 5th owners.  Because of the party DH parked out of his normal place in the driveway so I had to pull back in the garage at a funny angle the next day after grocery shopping.  Well...I was so focused on not hitting DH's car or the vacuum (that wasn't where it belonged either) that I didn't see the fire truck in front of the vacuum.  I actually thought I bumped the vacuum because I saw it move...till I got out and saw the fire truck.  Poor truck.  But I was going slow enough that it doens't look like I've damaged anything.  I just felt really bad.  DH always teases me because I pull so far in the garage.  I've left myself an inch of clearance in front of me before.  I tell him that takes skilz!

Oooo...I've got a better one!  And best of all; it's not me!!  A few years back my youngest stepbrother was still living at home while he finished college.  My step-sister was in town for a visit and borrowed his car; his stick-shift car.  Being a college kid; my stepbrother hopped straight out of the shower and hit the remote starter on his car so it could warm up while he threw some clothes on...  Well....step-sister had left the car in first gear.  Without a break on.  Mom and Step-dad got a new garage door.  Step-brother's car had no real paint job on it anyway.

It's much funnier now!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
When I was in my late teens one dark and stormy night I was running late for work.  I backed the car out of the drive and reversed right into the next-door neighbour's old outside wooden loo, knocking it right over. Luckily at close to midnight there were no occupants.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Tammat, is it going to cost you a small fortune to fix your car? I hope not. 

Many years ago, while pulling out of a parking space at a store, I backed into another vehicle. We pretty much backed out of our respective stalls at the same time. I kept waiting for him, he kept waiting for me, and finally we both just went. And smacked into each other. Fortunately not a lot of damage to either car.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This didn't happen to me but I was in the car with my sister when it happened.  We were just leaving the cemetery where my parents are buried and my sister backed into a gravestone.  The back of her car was pretty scratched up but of course the stone was fine.  Thank goodness she was going very slowly. 

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  If it makes you feel better I'll share what I did last week.  My Mom and Step-dad bought my DD her first big girl bike but it was raining the day of her party.  So DH backed my car out of the garage so she could ride it in there.  DS needed something to do so my Mom grabbed a ride on fire truck that has been passed down from my 11 year old nice; making my kids the 4th and 5th owners.  Because of the party DH parked out of his normal place in the driveway so I had to pull back in the garage at a funny angle the next day after grocery shopping.  Well...I was so focused on not hitting DH's car or the vacuum (that wasn't where it belonged either) that I didn't see the fire truck in front of the vacuum.  I actually thought I bumped the vacuum because I saw it move...till I got out and saw the fire truck.  Poor truck.  But I was going slow enough that it doens't look like I've damaged anything.  I just felt really bad.  DH always teases me because I pull so far in the garage.  I've left myself an inch of clearance in front of me before.  I tell him that takes skilz!

Oooo...I've got a better one!  And best of all; it's not me!!  A few years back my youngest stepbrother was still living at home while he finished college.  My step-sister was in town for a visit and borrowed his car; his stick-shift car.  Being a college kid; my stepbrother hopped straight out of the shower and hit the remote starter on his car so it could warm up while he threw some clothes on...  Well....step-sister had left the car in first gear.  Without a break on.  Mom and Step-dad got a new garage door.  Step-brother's car had no real paint job on it anyway.

It's much funnier now!
This is why "remote starts" are illegal to install on manual trans automobiles. Yikes!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago, when I was young and stupid, I pulled behind a guy at the gas station pumping gas. When he was done, he started talking to another guy, just standing there! After a few minutes I got mad, threw my car in reverse, stomped on it, and backed into a low pole I didn't see! A few days later my neck started hurting, whiplash! It was months before it felt better. That's what I get for getting so mad!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Oooo...I've got a better one!  And best of all; it's not me!!  A few years back my youngest stepbrother was still living at home while he finished college.  My step-sister was in town for a visit and borrowed his car; his stick-shift car.  Being a college kid; my stepbrother hopped straight out of the shower and hit the remote starter on his car so it could warm up while he threw some clothes on...  Well....step-sister had left the car in first gear.  Without a break on.  Mom and Step-dad got a new garage door.  Step-brother's car had no real paint job on it anyway. ;)

It's much funnier now! :nod:
:lol3::lol3::lol3: That's a good one!

When my sister was a new driver (way back when) she had this huge Chevy she somehow managed to back into and knock over a gas pump.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey well accidents happen, they just do. I think it's great that you are exploring ways to bring in some extra money - hopefully your husband appreciates that. Good luck on the car I hope it doesn't cost too much.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is why "remote starts" are illegal to install on manual trans automobiles. Yikes!
My guess is it was he installed it himself.  Is it illegal to instal them  on manual cars everywhere?  Or just some states?  They are very popular where my family is from in Upstate New  York.
That's a good one!

When my sister was a new driver (way back when) she had this huge Chevy she somehow managed to back into and knock over a gas pump.
I have this opinion that new drivers should always have to start with big, heavy cars!  My first car was a Buick that was older than me. It cost my parents $100 and it became my job to tote the younger siblings to their jobs, friends houses, etc.  Because I was in the chorus and practice was before school; they still had to take the bus. Muahahahaha.
  I guess they could have gotten up earlier too.  Like that was going to happen.

I don't think I did anything too bad in that car.  A good scratch on the bumper (from the bumper of my step-dad's extra large van...it was huge! I could never drive it! lol), jumped a curb with one tire.  That sort of thing.  But I do think having to drive a vehicle like that gave me good experience and made me cautious of the entire vehicle's presence on the road.  It also taught me how to plan routes out because if it rained and I drove over a big puddle it would stall.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A number of years ago while I was stationed at Ft Lewis WA a friend of mine backed their new to them full size customized van into a telephone pole.  Of course her husband lit into her the way it sounds like your husband did.  She got flustered and told him the pole wasn't there when she parked.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohh noo Tammat! I hope your car is OK. Always worse when you have witnesses.

One winter I got over-confident because I drove a Subaru Forrester and thought I could plow through a client's unplowed driveway. Got stuck. :emba:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. You helped lift my spirits. I was only going very slowly. There is a fair bit of damage because the owners of the shed buisiness had placed a steel bar in the ground in front of the verandah post I backed into. Other people have hit it. Even the owner himself said he has hit it.
I'm getting a quote the week after next. It will be an insurance claim.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
wow. looks like the bumper, tail light, bracket(s) and sensor need to be replaced!!! not sure if there is a dent on the quarter panel, but i wouldn't be surprised if they said they needed to do some work there too. good luck!

I don't drive because i have a partner that drives me every where! So i guess i'll share a story about something that happened to him. he were driving around looking for parking. Some how we got into a fight, and we were just at each others throats. He decided to park just any where so we could just hash it out, as he was backing up, he hit the fire hydrant. Needless to say i giggled and it kind of ended the fight. lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An update on My Bad Day. I took the car to the repairer a week or so ago for an assessment. The repairer was very rude to me. His wife was not much nicer either. I contacted my insurance company and they were very nice to me. They explained the whole process to me ect. I don't have to use the rude repairers but it's all much easier to go through them as they are the approved repairers for my insurance company. I waited until I could go into the office without hissing at them!! So I went in yesterday.This morning I've booked in for the 11th march. The total damage is $1,513.23 AUD. We will be going through insurance. I will get over my huff. It justs disappoints me that people in business are rude to the people that keep their businesses going.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you're able to get the car repaired, but I'm sorry you had to deal with the rudeness. You would think that since they depend on others to earn their living, that they would be nicer. 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry you had to deal with it. I also don't' understand how people like that get away with it.