A 2nd Cat

earthwormgym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey folks,

We're considering adopting a 2nd cat! I've been reading the obvious stuff about keeping them separated to start then gradually introducing them. I guess my concern lies with our apartment size. We don't have that many rooms and Arlo- our only maine coon (11 months old), has a daily routine down where he spends a decent amount of time in each room.

So if we were to adopt a 2nd- (considering a kitten, male and all-black!) should we continue the separation protocol, and keep Arlo in the bedroom and bring in his litterbox and water with him? Then allow new cat to explore living room and bathroom for a few days before the big introduction! I think Arlo may be "chirping" a lot if he did that!

Any other advice would be awesome.

Thanks!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have to choose between your bedroom & the rest of the place (in a 1 bedroom apartment.) Your resident cat may prefer being locked in your bedroom since it is prime cat real estate. I would also try site swapping after a few days/week. Using a crate to transfer one cat out of the bedroom, then guiding the other cat into the bedroom. A bathroom may be ideal since there is less for a kitten to get into.