9 Weeks Old Kitten In Pain - Can Not Longer Stand Up

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What did you discover actually happened to cause the ruckus yesterday?

I would suggest feeding him separately and adding 2-3 drops of olive oil to his wet food. This should help him to go though it may be soft or runny. You’ll want to continue helping him to pee and poop several times a day over the litter box.

I also suggest that you see a different vet for a second opinion and x-rays. I’m very concerned that he is not getting better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fosterella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What did you discover actually happened to cause the ruckus yesterday?

I would suggest feeding him separately and adding 2-3 drops of olive oil to his wet food. This should help him to go though it may be soft or runny. You’ll want to continue helping him to pee and poop several times a day over the litter box.

I also suggest that you see a different vet for a second opinion and x-rays. I’m very concerned that he is not getting better.
Unfortunately, video is not helping to understand what happened last night.
I am also concerned. I feel like he could have internal injury. I think he needs an ultra sound. Unfortunately the other vet I usually see is on vacation until next week. I feel so helpless.
Thanks for the olive oil tip. At this stage I'd rather clean running diarrhea than thinking things are blocked in his body. I will bring him some wet food with olive oil now. I also read pumkin puree could help in case of constipation. Do you think I should also give him a spoon or 2? Or is it too much?

fosterella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten now has his own little bedroom in the cats' room. He is in a kitten's park so even if he attempts to move -which he hasn't done at all today- he doen't end up like yesterday in some place where he is blocked. The small cat tree is for his family to be able to visit him from the open roof.
IMG_6534.JPG

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, so sorry your little guy is going through all this. You are so creative, by the way. That "kitten park" is such a good idea. He is safe, comfy with all that he needs around him where he has easy access to them, and his family has access to him. Good job!! Please continue to keep us updated.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A spoon of pumpkin puree is fine.

I love his own little space! Very clever!

Can you call another vet? I’m concerned about too much time going by without further treatment if there is anything that should be done for him beyond rest.

fosterella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your support and advice everyone!

Can you call another vet? I’m concerned about too much time going by without further treatment if there is anything that should be done for him beyond rest.
I am about to update the president of the association and ask her to contact one of the vets she usually deals with. The thing is I have recently moved to a more rural area and I no longer have easy access to those vets.

fosterella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Transportation has been arranged for kitten to see one of the vet the association trusts tomorrow.
Might not hear back before Friday as he won't spend the night with us tomorrow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m glad he’ll see another vet, but do you know who will have him? He may cry alot without his mama. I hope he gets back soon! Will you get a report tomorrow?

fosterella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He'll be in experienced hands all the way. I am hoping to get a report tonight!

He ate food before he left this morning. But he hasn't peed. He hasn't peed since yesterday morning. I have tried several times to put him in the litter box holding him for more comfort but nothing came out. Maybe he is holding it as it hurts. He did 3 millimeters of poop last night. Not enough.
I'll post an update as soon as I hear about the vet visit!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He may be dehydrated if he is not able to get to the water bowl, but perhaps they will give him sub-q fluids at the vet.

I’m anxious to hear the report!

fosterella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He may be dehydrated if he is not able to get to the water bowl, but perhaps they will give him sub-q fluids at the vet.
I am sure he will be given what's necessary. He is in good hands really.

I’m anxious to hear the report!
So am I. It's a really long day for him and for us.

fosterella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am afraid I am not here with good news :(
X-Ray revealed our little guy has a difformed spinal cord. That's why he wasn't as agile as the others.
He's had a strong injection of cortisone to help him with the pain.
Vet wants to discuss with colleagues if anything can be done, but I am very pessimistic about it.
Poor little thing

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! I was afraid of this.

He should still be able to have a good life.

I wonder if there is a way to brace his spine while he grows so that it might help to straighten it.

Is he back with you and his mom and siblings now?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Humans whom got "shot in the back" gets often better simply with a strong painkiller. But your vet of course do knows it.

fosterella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't see how he can have a good life if he is constantly in pain, unable to move, even getting up is too much. He can't use the litter box he lies all day long.
He stayed at the clininc for the night, the vet wanted to keep him until they discuss between vets to decide what to do.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perhaps he can be given a chance. How well was he moving before the incident occurred?

It may be that he has a deformed spine but also suffered a further injury that might heal. Poor little fellow.

fosterella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well unfortuantely, all vets agreed nothing could be done to help this little angel. Sadly, he is now in kittens' paradise.

I try to comfort myself thinking we were so lucky to find his mother. Had he been born in the wild, he would have died in atrocious pain.

Here is a photo of him when he was 5 weeks old. He would very often adopt this very adorable position
fullsizeoutput_60a8.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
RIP little one.

Your family miss you. Cat family and human family.

And so do we on this forum.

fosterella fosterella you did everything at all possible. Your conscience is clean and the little ones soul is thus calm.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
RIP sweetheart, you had love, warmth and comfort during the short time you were here. You are now in a place of everlasting sunshine and peace.