9 Month Old Kitten Throwing Up Raw, Are These OK Remedies?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
So you think your cat was maybe sensitive to raw food overall?
I don’t really think that’s possible. That’s like saying a human is sensitive to anything cooked. That would be weird.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t really think that’s possible. That’s like saying a human is sensitive to anything cooked. That would be weird.
Gotcha. I had that thought in the back of my mind lol but hey, who knows. I definitely want to feed Hugo raw so I'll be transitioning him over to chicken again in a couple weeks to see how that goes and take it from there.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have all his life to feed him raw. For now, if it's not agreeing with him, I'd keep him on canned until he's finished growing. Raw food is only healthful if it stays in him long enough to get digested and utilized for the massive amount of growth kittens go through in their first year. If he likes chicken gizzards and they agree with him, give those as an occasional treat. Try again with raw when he's no longer a growing kitten with growing kitten nutritional needs.

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have all his life to feed him raw. For now, if it's not agreeing with him, I'd keep him on canned until he's finished growing. Raw food is only healthful if it stays in him long enough to get digested and utilized for the massive amount of growth kittens go through in their first year. If he likes chicken gizzards and they agree with him, give those as an occasional treat. Try again with raw when he's no longer a growing kitten with growing kitten nutritional needs.
Thank you, I'm trying to keep him on just canned. Sometimes it's so hard to keep him away from the raw food because his sister still eats her raw chicken and he wants some. Also, if he's having problems right now, isn't it likely for them to continue into adulthood since raw food is their natural diet?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I'm trying to keep him on just canned. Sometimes it's so hard to keep him away from the raw food because his sister still eats her raw chicken and he wants some. Also, if he's having problems right now, isn't it likely for them to continue into adulthood since raw food is their natural diet?
I don't honestly know. I don't have much experience with kittens. I rescued Krista from the shelter at two years old.

It's possible your kitten isn't up to digesting bone or the amount of bone that is in the HT grinds.

My recommendation remains let him grow feeding him as much canned as he wants. Treat him with the occasional gizzard if those still treat him right. You might try Alnutrin with Calcium and boneless meat with him later when his growth needs aren't so high.

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't honestly know. I don't have much experience with kittens. I rescued Krista from the shelter at two years old.

It's possible your kitten isn't up to digesting bone or the amount of bone that is in the HT grinds.

My recommendation remains let him grow feeding him as much canned as he wants. Treat him with the occasional gizzard if those still treat him right. You might try Alnutrin with Calcium and boneless meat with him later when his growth needs aren't so high.
Yeah I'm going to try the raw without bone when he starts eating that again. I wonder how much bigger he'll get though, he's only gained about 3.5 oz in the past month. But he's always been a big cat; he's 11 lbs at 9 months. And he was 7 lbs at 5 months lol

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista never liked the HT grinds. I bought a manual meat grinder from Amazon for about $40. I figured if she likes my homemade, I could upgrade to an electric at a future date. Krista likes thigh meat. I don’t know what cuts are in the grinds. But thigh meat is what brings her to the counter, climbing all over me at meal time. Turkey thighs are cheap enough. And if you make friends with the butcher, you can ask him to set aside the giblets (liver, heart, and gizzard) for you when they cut up whole birds for the cuts they sell.

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Coming back to this thread because unfortunately my poor Honey threw up her food for the first time tonight :(

I originally wrote this thread because my male kitten, Hugo, was the one throwing up. Tonight, it was his sister, Honey.

I’m mostly confused but I think it might be gizzards. She’s been eating raw for three months now with no issues that I know of. No problems with bowel movements, throwing up, etc. She’s mostly eaten raw chicken grinds from Hare Today since she started raw, but she’s been eating their rabbit grinds for a month now with no issues. She also gets a quarter of a capsule of human grade probiotics every day, and has been for the past few weeks. Three days ago I introduced gizzards back into their diet (the last time they ate them was back in December/January, and it was less than a week before Hugo threw up). Tonight was their third serving since reintroduction and she threw up 1.5 hours later.

I feel like that’s the most plausible answer at this point, especially since the gizzards have triggered the same reaction with her brother in the past and she hasn’t had any other issues with raw so far. Maybe she isn’t chewing the gizzards thoroughly? Most of the time she’ll take her time and chew each piece a lot before swallowing. But sometimes there are only a few chews before the swallow. And while cleaning up her vomit tonight, I noticed some substantially sized pieces in there.

if any of you have had similar experiences with gizzards or can point me in the right direction, I’d appreciate it tremendously!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizzards are extremely dense, which make them great for teething and building up jaw muscle. But I personally do not include them as a regular part of their meals. They are better as an occasional treat; and only one, not a whole pile of them.