9 kittens, a first for me

fatedone

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again! So I foster kittens and pregnant cats, for the last 6 years. Never have I seen such a big litter. I’m pretty confident there is still one more to be born as well. She’s been pretty “generous” about taking breaks between kittens, and it’s going on hour 7 of labor since the first kitten. In the morning I’m splitting them up, I’ll likely just rotate them from a warming box and mom and supplement the smaller ones. I said my prayers and said goodbye to a good nights sleep for a while, but does anyone have any other tips?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Rotating and supplementing are absolutely the best way to go - the 4 or 5 biggest in one group and the smallest in the other. It’s important that the little ones get mom time too, in addition to supplementing.

Also, weighing every 12 hours on all of them for the first couple of weeks is essential. Keep a log. Helping mom clean bottoms is also important.

Give mom a couple of dishes of formula to drink a day - with 9 kittens she will need all the extra calcium and wet food she can get. Once they are stable at around 3 weeks you can leave them all with mom and get more sleep, though you’ll still be supplementing, just less frequently.

We’ve had big litters before. I’ll look for a thread and post the link.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow!
Is there a mama that maybe only has one baby who could take one or three of these :)?