9 breeds of Cats Who Like to Swim

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is American Shorthair and loves being wet and sometimes swims in the puddles in the back yard after a hard rain.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Makena, our Bengal, generally avoids water. But when out hiking, if there is something interesting on the other side of a creek, he has no problem wading across. He would rather not swim, and will usually look at me and give a "meow" when the water gets to his belly. The meow means "a little help please!" Although on hot days, if he is really motivated, he will swim.

Once in awhile he will go after fish, quickly jumping in, grabbing a fish, and jumping back out. He dives right in, getting his whole head under the water. Usually its a little 2 or 3 inch minnow that he catches and then gulps down once back on dry land. He did this in the fall one time, not realizing how cold the water was, and I had to carry a soaking wet, shivering Bengal home in my jacket. He has seldom gone after fish since then...

Makena loves going out fishing with us in our boat. He likes to look in the water but never shows signs of wanting to get in.

I am glad Makena is not more of a water cat. I have a friend whose Bengal LOVES water. So the Bengal learned to turn on faucets, and flooded the bathroom floor with water when the sink overflowed.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Makena, our Bengal, generally avoids water. But when out hiking, if there is something interesting on the other side of a creek, he has no problem wading across. He would rather not swim, and will usually look at me and give a "meow" when the water gets to his belly. The meow means "a little help please!" Although on hot days, if he is really motivated, he will swim.

Once in awhile he will go after fish, quickly jumping in, grabbing a fish, and jumping back out. He dives right in, getting his whole head under the water. Usually its a little 2 or 3 inch minnow that he catches and then gulps down once back on dry land. He did this in the fall one time, not realizing how cold the water was, and I had to carry a soaking wet, shivering Bengal home in my jacket. He has seldom gone after fish since then...

Makena loves going out fishing with us in our boat. He likes to look in the water but never shows signs of wanting to get in.

I am glad Makena is not more of a water cat. I have a friend whose Bengal LOVES water. So the Bengal learned to turn on faucets, and flooded the bathroom floor with water when the sink overflowed.

What a lucky cat, with so much to stimulate his mind. My boys will likely never see a live fish in their lives, cross a stream or go out in a boat.