9-10 week old kittens with bloody diarrhea

merlinsmom

Mom to Moose, Squirrel, Dougie, Betty and Ferals
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am caring for a group of 4 kittens that my feral mom had outside. I am caring for them until our local private shelter is able to take them. The shelter dewormed them, but ever since they have had pretty loose stools. I then found out that they needed to be wormed again. I also then found out that soft toothpaste level poo is pretty common for a kitten. I was still feeding them the same food they were eating outside, but have since started them on forti flora and some better food to help the process along. I am also giving them a med to help firm their stool, but this morning I saw that their was one poo that was liquidy and had some blood in it. The vet said they are trying to get the worms out of their system and that is why the blood. She told me to give them more of the firming medicine and I bought better food for them (Iams kitten).

They aren't throwing up and seem their normal bouncy and clingy selves. Also, if I wasn't clear, they are in my house segregated from my other cats. Its been a few years since I had kittens in the house and its been exhausting. I've been worried about them all day. I know I'm doing the right things, but just need to assurances that this is pretty normal with little ones that have gone through a change and are being dewormed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, this all sounds pretty normal. Each kitten’s system is different. If the diarrhea persists, that kitten can be re-evaluated for possible parasites or a bacterial intestinal infection, but give it time first.

Thanks so much for fostering!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
They pretty much all have nasty yellow liquid poo. They are on Endosorb and it hasn’t done anything. I gave them their evening dose and the poor things got in the box and loudly gassy pooped. Like three at once. Only the one boy doesn’t seem to be doing anything. I am wondering if they have a gut bacteria or Giardia. They are lively and happy but it’s bad diarrhea. I’ve never had kittens with this bad of diarrhea. They have had two doses of worm meds in a weeks time so I know that is probably it but they are small.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! Yellow diarrhea poop often means Coccidia. This is a common but nasty parasite. This is usually cured with Albon or Ponazuril. Albon can take a week, but Ponazuril is usually one to two doses and done.

Poor things — they must be miserable! I hope you can get them treated for this ASAP. Worm meds do not generally cause yellow diarrhea, so although they needed worming, there is something else going on they need treatment for.

Please keep us posted!

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
With today being thanksgiving I’m not going to be able to do anything today. I will call vet on Friday morning

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
This morning one of the boys had light brown formed but soft poo. But he is the one that seems to be less inflamed in the rear. I didn’t see a huge pile of yellow this morning. I scooped and we will see what is there later today. They are as crazy and bouncy as usual

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
Still runny but much less today so far. Getting ready to go to my sisters for thanksgiving so I’ll see when I get home.

gemmamiso

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If they do have Coccidia, Albon worked really well for my cat. She had the same symptoms/ timeline as yours, and felt better 3 days after starting the medicine

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
They were doing so much better yesterday and even saw some tiny turds in there. Then bam this morning more bloody yellow. Calling the vet as soon as they open. I have to work but can drop off sample. My husband is off today and can take them if necessary

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t think it’s all of them but impossible to tell which it is by box only

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
Taking a sample in a bit to be tested for coccidia

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
Call into the vet to talk things over. Their turn time on the lab when I dropped stuff off seemed a little long. They pick up their lab stuff daily and then its a turn time after that. Last test they did I knew the next day. As long as they stay hydrated they seem ok, but I know of this is coccidia, it could turn bad quickly

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can they give you Albon to start treating ALL of the kittens right away? Coccidia sometimes does not show up in the fecal, plus, it’s very contagious so all the kittens need treating. It’s a shame to delay treatment for these kittens while waiting on lab turnaround time.

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
Can they give you Albon to start treating ALL of the kittens right away? Coccidia sometimes does not show up in the fecal, plus, it’s very contagious so all the kittens need treating. It’s a shame to delay treatment for these kittens while waiting on lab turnaround time.
They don't seem willing to do that. They want me to continue current treatment plan until I get the results

gemmamiso

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The lab didn’t give me results for 3 days after dropping off the fecal, and my cat couldn’t keep food down and lost her appetite. As long as they’re eating they should be ok, but it is a shame that they won’t just give you the Albon in the meantime. You are doing a great job, try not to worry too much!

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
They said there were no parasites at all in their sample. They said it would just take time. I have been giving them the endsorb and the poo is slowly thickening a bit. More brown. I see a Normalish poo in there here and there. No throwing up and they are eating and drinking well. Full of activity

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, this is a relief to hear. I hope they continue to improve. I was a bit worried there for awhile, but you’ve been marvelously on top of things. Thanks for the update!

merlinsmom

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I do think there is one there that is lagging behind the others. I’ll keep an eye on her