8oz too much?

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those of you who have cats on wet food only......how many ounces do they eat in a day?

Binx is an average sized male cat....my parents were just over and they both said he looks like he’s getting big. He splits a 5.5 ounce can of food with Kaia 3 times a day.....so about 8.25oz of food. It is pate style food and he gets about 261 calories a day. I thought this was close to where he should be. He’s 11lbs. He has quite the primordial pouch on him, but if you look down on him he looks lean. So maybe they are confusing the pouch with a fat belly? Not sure. Anyway, how many ounces do your cats eat?
61A7FB94-A8B8-42BE-82DD-8DAE70F29B8C.jpeg
1B9DB751-D31F-4541-BCF2-85AE7EE19088.jpeg
1E125566-5DA1-4864-A7DD-CEA5ED7C8EE2.jpeg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They might be confusing the pouch with fat. My boy has the same problem of a pouch. My brothers ex wife recently saw my boy for the first time in over a year and said he was fat.... Rude. I think she just hadn't seen him for a while

From the photos, I'd guess he is at an ideal weight, I wouldn't want to see him gain any weight and maybe he could drop a few ounces but he's not overweight in my opinion. Sounds like about 23 calories per pound which is right around what we'd expect for a cat to eat to maintain their weight.

What type of wet food do you feed? If it's a more carby one it could cause weight retention around the midesection. I don't see a problem in the photos but it is something to be mindful of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They might be confusing the pouch with fat. My boy has the same problem of a pouch. My brothers ex wife recently saw my boy for the first time in over a year and said he was fat.... Rude. I think she just hadn't seen him for a while

From the photos, I'd guess he is at an ideal weight, I wouldn't want to see him gain any weight and maybe he could drop a few ounces but he's not overweight in my opinion. Sounds like about 23 calories per pound which is right around what we'd expect for a cat to eat to maintain their weight.

What type of wet food do you feed? If it's a more carby one it could cause weight retention around the midesection. I don't see a problem in the photos but it is something to be mindful of.
He eats PC extra meaty....it’s a Canadian brand similar to fancy feast classic pate. Thanks!!

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He looks pretty healthy weight to me. Wouldn’t want him to gain weight. My boy is that old but eats more calories around 350. He’s extremely active and if he eats under that He starts losing weight. He runs around the house playing most of the day. XD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I might substitute one of his feedings for a perfect portions amount....give him the 2.75 oz at breakfast and before bed, and the smaller amount for their 3pm feeding.

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed only wet food. My two split a 5 ounce can of food in the morning, then in the afternoon they split a 3 ounce can then around 8 pm they split another 3 ounce can. They do get a little kibble in a food puzzle , around two table spoons just about every day too. This is Will, not the best photo, he is around 9.5 pounds, his brother is around 7 pounds
I

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 adult females. The smallest, Peaches, eats 4oz a day. Coco 3/4 of 5.5 oz can, and Maggie 5.5 oz can split 3 meals. Your cat looks healthy. They always look bigger sitting down

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Binx looks great to me, Erin80 Erin80 ! He does look lean (healthy lean, not skinny lean) when looking down, though, so since he's only about 18 months I wouldn't be concerned at all if he were to gain a little more weight. Our cats kept filling out (maybe even growing a little?) until they were at least two. (They did come to us underfed at ten months but the growth/filling out went for a long time!)