8+ year old spraying problem

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For years my mother thought it was another cat having accidents but Buddy is no longer with us. My husband & I moved back in last year and we returned with 2 cats that lived with Connor before and a new younger cat. Connor is just starting to walk freely around the house(his choice not ours) in the last month or so which is how we notice when he sprays.

Connor doesn't fight with any of the cats, he just wishes they weren't here. He has been spraying for about 8 years now since we first introduced other cats to the house. I seem to be sensitive to the smell. Since we moved back in last year I smell it everywhere. I have tried enzymatic cleaners but they just don't work. I know some spots are old and too late to get the smell out.

I have tried putting foil on the walls but he finds his a new spot in that room. We tried Feliway for 3-4 months and the little bugger sprayed next to the diffuser. He is afraid of the spray which leads to more spraying.

I know sometimes he sprays when he doesn't get what he wants like food or going out back. Since I don't work I have been trying my best to keep him on an outside/feeding schedule. Some days it just doesn't work out. WE have been using Spirit Essense for a few weeks now. Either it's working or Connor realizes I am pregnant cause he is hanging around me more(which makes it easier to keep on his schedule).
http://www.spiritessence.com/instructions

The next 7 months will be crazy. We already know Connor doesn't like change but we have no choice. Next month the bathroom is being remodeled. Shortly after that his room and my mother's will be remodeled (new furniture, paint, down-sized). After that we have the nursery to start(currently part of mom's room).

We need help before the baby arrives

thecatcoach

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In your description, it appears that there are many challenges. I can't address all of them, I can only touch the surface in this forum and give you a few tips. First of all it's very important that you start getting Connor used to the idea of a baby. Try to figure out what kind of schedule you will have when the baby comes, and try to put Connor on it now. So... feed him, play with him, groom him on a schedule. Also start to desensitize him to the sounds of a baby by softly playing a recording of a baby crying. Over time, increase the volumn and the amount of time the recording plays. Additionally, bring freshly worn baby clothes and blankets into the house for Connor to see.

You will also need to have tall cat trees around, places of refuge for Connor.

When the construction begins, put Connor in a room, as far away from the noise and chaos as possible.

There's much more, but I can't cover everything in this e-mail... this is a start.
Marilyn Krieger, CCBC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TheCatCoach

In your description, it appears that there are many challenges. I can't address all of them, I can only touch the surface in this forum and give you a few tips. First of all it's very important that you start getting Connor used to the idea of a baby. Try to figure out what kind of schedule you will have when the baby comes, and try to put Connor on it now. So... feed him, play with him, groom him on a schedule. Also start to desensitize him to the sounds of a baby by softly playing a recording of a baby crying. Over time, increase the volumn and the amount of time the recording plays. Additionally, bring freshly worn baby clothes and blankets into the house for Connor to see.

You will also need to have tall cat trees around, places of refuge for Connor.

When the construction begins, put Connor in a room, as far away from the noise and chaos as possible.

There's much more, but I can't cover everything in this e-mail... this is a start.
Marilyn Krieger, CCBC
Thank you for the suggestions.