8 week old kitten with a stuffy snotty nose, but not sick

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there--

I have a now 8 week old rescue kitten that I bottle fed beginning at 7 days old.  He is doing great, expect that every few days he gets a nose and sinuses full of snot and boogers. After wheezing and having trouble getting air through his nose for a day or two, he'll sneeze everything out.  The snot is thick and gluey in consistency.  Once he gets it cleared, he is good for 3-5 days and it starts again.  I've switched cat litter twice just in case it was the dust.  When not being watched, he and his sister stay in a bathroom, so I run a humidifier in there when he is stuffy.  It seems to help loosen the gunk so he can sneeze it out.  They will be going to new homes soon, and I'd like to figure out what the root of this issue is.  Any suggestions?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the snot is yellow in color, it may indicate a sinus infection and he might benefit from a course of Clavamox for a week or 10 days.  They can have sinus infections without it making them sick all over, but it still needs to be cleared up.  You could also add Lactoferrin to his food, which will stimulate his immune system and help him fight off whatever this is.  It works well on animals that once had respiratory infections and now just have the after effects.  You can purchase it on Amazon.  Search "lactoferrin" in the search bar above, just under the top brown bar, ad you will get several threads concerning the use of lactoferrin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!  He had two courses of antibiotics at 2 weeks old, then again at 5weeks.  He doesn't appear ill and can go 5 days without a stuffy nose, then gets clogged up for 2-3 days.  I will try the lactoferrin for him.