.8 Phosphorous Dmb With Phosphorous Binder?

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, last week the vet told me that my 12 year old cat is in kidney failure. I asked for prognosis (for extended life), he said "not good, but not impossible". She is a happy cat, nothing that will tell you something is wrong except occasional bladder infections and throwing up about once a week.

I tried to get her to eat Hills K/D and Royal Canin's kidney support food. She won't even touch those. I tried Hi-Tor Neo Diet, which has low phosphorous Nope, not that either.
my vet's out til Tuesday, but his wife said "she'll eat wqhen she gets hungry", but I know this girl, she's very stubborn, and I know how quickly hepatic lipidosis can set in, so I will not let her go even a day without eating.

I stumbled upon Performatrin, which had a phosphorous % of .18, which I thought was great, so I fed it to her and she loves it. Now I discover DMB, and did the calculation. The phosphorous DMB of that food is .8, which is .2 above what I read is the recommended .3 - .6

My idea is to supplement every meal with a phosphorous binder, hoping to offset that extra .2. Since I'm so very new at this, is that good or faulty logic?

Thanks for your input!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
By the way, Babbette (19 years young) is not in kidney failure. It's the middle cat, Watch Kitty.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So you are saying that the food she will eat is .8% on a dry matter basis. Correct me if I'm wrong.

According to the manufacturer of royal canin, their prescription kidney food is: as follows:
Royal Canin Renal D cat food Phosphorous: 0.44% DM

Royal Canin Renal E cat food Phosphorous: 0.46% DM

Royal Canin Renal T cat food Phosphorous: 0.51% DM

Now, another of their brands their aging 12 + is:
Aging 12+ Loaf In Sauce Canned 5.8-oz
Phosphorous: 0.56% DM
Aging 12+ Thin Slices in Gravy, 3-oz
Phosphorous: 0.53% DM

Maybe you could try those types and most big box pet stores carry those two. And you don't need a prescription.

Also Forza10 makes a kidney diet as well, Forza10 Kidney RENAL ACTIWET with Lamb for Cats.
If you email [email protected] and tell them the types of foods you want to try, they will send a free sample. For example I tried two of their products with my cat that I asked them to send.

Either way it's better the cat eat something other than nothing. And the thing you should feed should be lower in phosphorus if you can get there. If the cat won't eat special food, them your vet should tell you how much of a phosphorus binder to use, based on the brand.

I'm in a similar food situation with my cat as you, but only a small dose of a appetite stimulant seems to keep him less picky/wasteful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So you are saying that the food she will eat is .8% on a dry matter basis. Correct me if I'm wrong.
That's correct. That seems to be much lower than most non-prescription food but a little too high for what she needs.

Royal Canin Aging 12+ Loaf In Sauce Canned 5.8-oz
Phosphorous: 0.56% DM

Also Forza10 makes a kidney diet as well, Forza10 Kidney RENAL ACTIWET with Lamb for Cats.
Thank you very much for the tips on both! She has tried Royal Canin prescription and did not like it at all, but the reviews say that cats like the taste. I would like to give it and ActiWet a try, but they're simply too expensive for me.

Either way it's better the cat eat something other than nothing. And the thing you should feed should be lower in phosphorus if you can get there. If the cat won't eat special food, them your vet should tell you how much of a phosphorus binder to use, based on the brand.
I just today ordered a special kidney support cooked homemade supplement from BalanceIt. I had to get it and the recipe approved by my vet. I hope she likes it. If not, I will have to go with the Performatrin with a vet-approved phosphorous binder amount as you suggested.

I'm in a similar food situation with my cat as you, but only a small dose of a appetite stimulant seems to keep him less picky/wasteful.
It's enough to drive a person insane, isn't it? I am very glad to see people having success with it like you are!

Thanks again for your help!

Krbdog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just ordered the renal recipe balanceit and looking to talk with others who have tried this