8 month old trying to nurse on me

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got Uriah from the local shelter about 3 weeks ago. When I first got her home she was fresh out of surgery the day before so still heavily medicated. She kneeded her paws on me the first few nights which is to be expected with kittens and cats, I know. But 2 nights ago I woke up to my shirt lifted and a cat sucking on my stomach.

The only thing the shelter had on her history was that she was found outside and had been at the shelter for about a week. Does anyone know why an older kitten would still be trying to nurse? Also, is this a habit that will go away on its own or is it a habit I should break? Any suggestions would be more than welcome. And thanks to everyone in advance.

uniqms95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello :) here is a part of an article I once read "Early weaning and separation from their mother, prior to 8 weeks of age, deprives your little one of this comfort and he may continue the behavior as an adult. Adult kitties under stress may also revert to this childish behavior later in life to soothe themselves, reminded of the safety of childhood. Kitties who feel ill or are bored with nothing to do may also revert to suckling as a way to comfort themselves." And yes you should discourage the behavior by redirecting it to a chew toy or something and giving praise when it is doing so with a toy and not with you. But I'm not an expert pain any way this is just my opinion so hopefully someone else will be able to help you with discouraging the behavior. I hope that helped :D

ashley davidson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat of my cousin used to do that - and it was around 4 years old. I also think it's because of early separation with the mother. My cousin didn't mind it and there was nothing wrong with the cat. I don't think there's any need to do anything. If it makes the cat happy, what's the harm?