8 month old less playful

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! That is Marble but we've been calling her meatball. We fostered her at 4 weeks with her sister then adopted both. Marble is currently 9-10 lbs so she's overweight for her age. We've been comparing her to her sister who is a perfect weight, playful, and crazy. But now Marble is eating less and sleeping a lot and playing a little bit. But when she plays, she doesn't really have fast movements? If that makes sense. We NEVER see her drink water and my mom stays up until 5am and she can see the water fountain from the couch. I check her gums daily and we've been bottle feeding water. I was just wondering if this is normal? Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is she just lazy? Thank you.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm just curious, when is the last time you had your kitties in to the vet?

How old is Marble? Take a look at this, she doesn't look overweight to me;
Fit or Fat: Your Pet's Body Condition Score (BCS)

Comparing the two cats is a bit like comparing apples to oranges, every cat is different in every way, behavior, how they digest food and absorb nutrients etc etc.

Are you feeding canned food?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There isn't any real hard and fast weight for age rule. You also can't compare her to her sister because they might be genetically half siblings (one litter can have multiple dads) or just got different sets of genes from their parents. Meaning one sibling can be bigger then the other; I know five human brothers and four are 6' to 6'2" while the middle brother is "only" 5'8" and puts on weight quicker then his brothers who are all super skinny in comparison.

Based on the photos, she doesn't look overwieght. But it's hard to tell with the photos too, a standing side view and top down view are usually better. How old is Marble?

Edit, just noticed 8 month on title, oops.

8 months and 9 to 10 pounds likely means she's just going to be bigger. My boy was around that at that age and he is now a very healthy 14 pound adult. Meanwhile my girl still isn't 8 pounds and she is 5 years old. Size and weight recommendations out there are very general and average statements. There is no perfect weight for an 8 month old female cat except what she is health and has good body condition for.

If she is slowing down activity wise it would be a good time to start looking at scheduled meals and measured feedings to make sure she doesn't become overwieght. But I wouldn't say she is overweight now. You also don't want to get too strict on it, 8 months is still young enough that she could have more growing and likely does if she is 9-10 pounds now. She could also start developing a primordial pouch at this age, which is a loose flap of skin many cats get just genetically. Of my three cats; one has a major pouch, one a minor one and one doesn't have it. I find looking for an slight pinch between ribs and hips when looking at your cat from above is a better indicator of body condition. You also want to feel the ribs with a slight layer of fat when petting side.

Here is my girl from the side and above as an example of healthy 7.5 pounds with a slight pouch but the pinch between ribs and hips:

IMG_20190428_082030.jpg

IMG_20190514_191237.jpg

My boy who you can see in the second photo is also healthy at 14 pounds but has a pouch that hangs low, which you can see here:

IMG_20190525_134700.jpg

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! What do you feed these cats? If they are mostly on canned food, many cats can get all the water they need from that. Also, if a fountain is the only water source you have, try a water bowl/dish as well - not all cats are crazy over fountains. You can assess her weight with the above helpful information, but you also need to make sure at her age she is getting enough to eat - she is not technically even a full grown cat. The sluggishness you talk about could actually be from a lack of proper nutrition, especially if you have cut her back recently due to fear of her weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm just curious, when is the last time you had your kitties in to the vet?

How old is Marble? Take a look at this, she doesn't look overweight to me;
Fit or Fat: Your Pet's Body Condition Score (BCS)

Comparing the two cats is a bit like comparing apples to oranges, every cat is different in every way, behavior, how they digest food and absorb nutrients etc etc.

Are you feeding canned food?
They were at the vet for a boost on vaccines in Dec. She is 8 months I read somewhere that each month was a pound each so 8 months is 8lbs. I have 8 cats so they have dry food 24/7 and they get wet food twice a day.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They were at the vet for a boost on vaccines in Dec. She is 8 months I read somewhere that each month was a pound each so 8 months is 8lbs. I have 8 cats so they have dry food 24/7 and they get wet food twice a day.
The pound a month is one of those general rules. Its not a hard and fast rule. It doesn't apply to every cat out there.

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There isn't any real hard and fast weight for age rule. You also can't compare her to her sister because they might be genetically half siblings (one litter can have multiple dads) or just got different sets of genes from their parents. Meaning one sibling can be bigger then the other; I know five human brothers and four are 6' to 6'2" while the middle brother is "only" 5'8" and puts on weight quicker then his brothers who are all super skinny in comparison.

Based on the photos, she doesn't look overwieght. But it's hard to tell with the photos too, a standing side view and top down view are usually better. How old is Marble?

8 months and 9 to 10 pounds likely means she's just going to be bigger. My boy was around that at that age and he is now a very healthy 14 pound adult. Meanwhile my girl still isn't 8 pounds and she is 5 years old. Size and weight recommendations out there are very general and average statements. There is no perfect weight for an 8 month old female cat except what she is health and has good body condition for.

If she is slowing down activity wise it would be a good time to start looking at scheduled meals and measured feedings to make sure she doesn't become overwieght. But I wouldn't say she is overweight now. You also don't want to get too strict on it, 8 months is still young enough that she could have more growing and likely does if she is 9-10 pounds now. She could also start developing a primordial pouch at this age, which is a loose flap of skin many cats get just genetically. Of my three cats; one has a major pouch, one a minor one and one doesn't have it. I find looking for an slight pinch between ribs and hips when looking at your cat from above is a better indicator of body condition. You also want to feel the ribs with a slight layer of fat when petting side.

Here is my girl from the side and above as an example of healthy 7.5 pounds with a slight pouch but the pinch between ribs and hips:

View attachment 329349

View attachment 329347

My boy who you can see in the second photo is also healthy at 14 pounds but has a pouch that hangs low, which you can see here:

View attachment 329348
I don't know if this picture helps but she doesn't really like to move around a lot lol. She wants to lay or sit. She has dry food 24/7 and gets wet food twice a day. When she was little, she didn't want any dry food at all just wet food so we had to mix it into her wet food. She also doesn't eat treats or table food.

Attachments

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! What do you feed these cats? If they are mostly on canned food, many cats can get all the water they need from that. Also, if a fountain is the only water source you have, try a water bowl/dish as well - not all cats are crazy over fountains. You can assess her weight with the above helpful information, but you also need to make sure at her age she is getting enough to eat - she is not technically even a full grown cat. The sluggishness you talk about could actually be from a lack of proper nutrition, especially if you have cut her back recently due to fear of her weight.
We have 8 cats so we really couldn't cut back on feeding one unless we cut back on all of them. They have dry food 24/7 and wet food twice a day. I was worried that she wasn't getting enough water. My dog has a water bowl that the others drink out of.

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

View attachment 329349

View attachment 329347

View attachment 329348
lol got some more. She's playing a little now and enjoying sun.

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From those last photos, she's upper end of good weight. Maybe a smidgen heavy (only maybe half a pound if that) but she will likely still grow some so that will likely self correct. I'd maintain her current feeding and keep an eye on her. Once she's a little over a year, cut back a little if she doesn't thin out some.

I know free feeding makes it more difficult. You might want to consider switching to a lower carb dry food. High carb dry food will contribute to weight retention around the middle and feeding something with lower carbs will help that. Cats also will regulate their intake better with lower carb because they will feel fuller longer (as long as it isn't a bored eating problem or eating because someone else is). Dr Else's dry or the Tiki Cat Born Carnivore are both lower carb options. They probably will cost a little more per pound but you will probably see your cats eating less.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you noticed her grooming less at all? Does she seem less interested in food still? Some cats don’t really drink water so if she’s getting wet food I wouldn’t be worried about that specifically.

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From those last photos, she's upper end of good weight. Maybe a smidgen heavy (only maybe half a pound if that) but she will likely still grow some so that will likely self correct. I'd maintain her current feeding and keep an eye on her. Once she's a little over a year, cut back a little if she doesn't thin out some.

I know free feeding makes it more difficult. You might want to consider switching to a lower carb dry food. High carb dry food will contribute to weight retention around the middle and feeding something with lower carbs will help that. Cats also will regulate their intake better with lower carb because they will feel fuller longer (as long as it isn't a bored eating problem or eating because someone else is). Dr Else's dry or the Tiki Cat Born Carnivore are both lower carb options. They probably will cost a little more per pound but you will probably see your cats eating less.
Okay great. Thank you for your suggestions! :thanks:

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you noticed her grooming less at all? Does she seem less interested in food still? Some cats don’t really drink water so if she’s getting wet food I wouldn’t be worried about that specifically.
She doesn't really groom. She just eats, sleeps, and plays a little. I gave her fluids when she wasn't playing at all. We got so worried because she had no symptoms than she had diarrhea but that went away. She's interested in food but she eats less than before. Okay thank you I thought the water had something to do with it.