8 month old female cat

Dawngx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My 8 month old female kitten has been meowing constantly (like a howl) the last day. She never normally meows at all and wondering what could be the cause. I did wonder if it was possibility of heat but she doesn’t seem to be showing other signs of this? She has liked her bum a few times, not sure if it’s any more than normal or if I am looking for signs.
Thanks in advance.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, she's almost certainly in heat. She's the right age and this is the right time of year. Maybe she's just starting and that's why she isn't showing other signs yet. Keep her indoors and away from unneutered males until she's spayed.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, definitely she is in heat. She may also be crouching low, treading on the floor with her back feet and raising her rump up. She desperately wants to mate so please keep her shut in a room so she can’t run outdoors and get her into the vet as quick as you can for her spay. If she gets out she WILL get pregnant and is just way too young.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dawngx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much. I thought this might be the case but I have never had a female cat before. I plan to get her spayed but can’t at the moment - due to corona virus my vets aren’t taking appointments for this, she is an indoor cat anyway so won’t be outdoors. I was just worried something was wrong with her health, horrible thinking she is in distress.
Thanks again

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, it definitely gets worse before it gets better, unfortunately. And some females cycle in and out of heat every 2 weeks. Look up some videos on Youtube to see what to expect.

And maybe call the vet to ask if they know when they might be able to do spays again, and see if you can get on their list. If they haven't been doing spays for a while there's bound to be quite the demand when they start doing them again.

Dawngx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I plan to give them a call first thing in the morning, I have asked before and told no but hopefully now they can add me to a waitlist as you say. Will just have to give her extra comfort meantime.

thank you again for your help!

MissViv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vets are spaying during the Covid crisis. I just adopted a kitten that was spayed before we got her. If your vet will not do it, I would contact another vet who will. You need to get this done ASAP.

Dawngx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are definitely not in my area, I made a few calls this morning and was told once we are out of tier 4 they will schedule her in.