8 Month Old Cat Still Has Diarrhea

amandalynnxo92

The Cat Hoarder
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey y’all, I posted last week or so I believe about rescuing an 8 month old cat who suffered from diarrhea. He was on flagyl for a week and a half, we finished the whole bottle and he still is experiencing diarrhea. I don’t know how to help him. He needs to go back to the doctor anyway for his shots etc. so I plan on going sometime this week. When he had his first vet visit he was checked for worms but the vet said none showed up on his stool sample. He’s been on a steady diet eating 3 meals a day. I don’t want to change his diet Incase that messes him up worse and I want to talk to the vet about probiotics before purchasing them.

I’m at an impass. I feel so bad. He was doing slight harder stools after about 5 days of treatment but now it’s all diarrhea again. He has a healthy appetite still and is very playful with no butt scooting or lethargy. Thoughts?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just read your other thread and see food was discussed a LOT. Can you tell us exactly what you are feeding him? Often food is the culprit, but sometimes it's also a bug that isn't found in the lab tests that are done in the Vet's office. The only way to find certain parasites is to request a PCR test which is done by sending a fecal sample to an outside lab. Costs more, so is usually a last resort. I would seriously look at what he's eating first unless your Vet thinks a PCR is in order. Many cats have issues with a lot of foods out there, so let's try to examine that and see where it takes us.