7mo old Cat positive with FPV! HELP!

annaemma28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My name is Anna and I have a 7-8 mo old cat woth FPV that is admitted currently.

The story sounds like this. I got Lipi in Sept and first thing I did was test him for FPV, corona and Giardia. He came back negative and the vet told me I should have him dewormed before his vaccines. All said and done and on 8th of Dec we went back to the vet for his vaccine. Before administration, they had a blood test for Leukemia which came back negative and they administered him RCP Felv vaccine. No side effects, at all, until Wednesday night, the 15th of December, when he did not eat, which was very unlike him, as he devoured everything. Thursday he threw up twice, a yellow liquid, and I panicked so I rushed him to the vet and the FPV test came back positive and they admitted him that night. They run blood tests as well, his white cells were sooo low and his neutrophils as well so they started his treatment with Zarzio, something that is used in human chemo, if I'm not mistaken and many other medicine. So far, he ate every day, he didn't threw up at all, his poop is not diarrhea, but just soft poop (I understand that this is somewhat normal, as he is pumped with IVs, antibiotics etc.), he's playful with the staff, he likes the attention, purring like an engine (which is very common for him) but what scares me is that he still has spikes of fever, in the top part of the range; i understood that every morning he gets these spikes. But the doctors do not let him have it for too long and they lower it with medication, but we're on day 5-6 and he still has these spikes.

What I'm trying to understand is how did he get it (no contact with any other unvaccinated cats and he is not interested in our clothes or shoes) and what do you think his evolution could be ? I lost 2 cats in September, one week apart, so I am not getting my hopes up, 2021 sucked so far....

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Panleuk is trackable, easily trackable, you can carry into your home on any and everything. It is a very tough virus to kill, ordinary cleaning will not kill it. Bleach or accelerated hydrogen peroxide is needed.

A vaccinated cat can get it, especially if not gotten the booster yet. The vaccine reduces the chances, does not eliminate the chance.

What test they use?

The other two cats you loss, was it to Panleuk?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annaemma28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply!

I understand now. Yes, the second dose should've been administered on5th of Jan...

My 2 other cats had nothing of sorts... One passed due to complications after a car accident, because he was indoor /outdoor cat, and the other passed after his back legs paralyzed...

Also, This was the test they used.
922F63D2-E9FC-4E55-BCE8-F23EF20F1811.jpeg

Rowena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.. i have a same issue with my furbaby, he's been diagnosed with FPV last week and he still having fever and diarrhea. We are going to the vet daily for his antibiotic shots.
What home remedies can i do to regain his strength and appetite.
Can a probiotic drink (yakult) will be beneficial for him?
Thanks

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have leukemia one has been so sick the vet said his white blood cells were almost nonexistent and he had 'days' to live. That was 2.5 years ago and they are all fat and sassy. I keep Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors around,(a cat lickable treat) no matter how sick they take a couple of licks of this and it keeps them going. I also give their supplements in them every morning. Diseases like these lower their immune systems down to the point they catch about anything going around. They are strictly indoors now, and with any plate handling, etc. i do with the outdoor cats, I make sure I wash my hands. I started them on DMG which is a liquid supplement to build up their immune systems, and LifeGold for cancers. I contacted the companies and made sure they could be given together. I asked the vet how they could keep going with almost zero blood cells, and he answered that if they can hang on long enough and their bone marrow hasn't been compromised, it will manufacture new cells every 30 days or so. don't give up, just love them and keep them around for as long as you can, I am thankful for each and every day.......

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Panleuk is extremely contagious and hearty. A cat can pee in the grass, the winter time the ground freezes and is covered in snow, then in the spring the grass regrows and the panleuk is back, it survived in the grass seed. One tough virus...

A kitten's core vaccines, the series of 3 will protect a cat, but it must have had at least 2 of the 3 for protection.
If your cat is allowed outside before being fully vaccinated, that's how it happened.
Cats who contract it expel it in their urine, and cats who are outside are in danger if unvaccinated.

As I'm sure you know, it's quite deadly, I hope your kitty pulls through this.
Something else to know, you have the virus all over your home now so it should be off limits to any cats unless fully vaccinated for at least the next 18 months.

Rowena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Panleuk is extremely contagious and hearty. A cat can pee in the grass, the winter time the ground freezes and is covered in snow, then in the spring the grass regrows and the panleuk is back, it survived in the grass seed. One tough virus...

A kitten's core vaccines, the series of 3 will protect a cat, but it must have had at least 2 of the 3 for protection.
If your cat is allowed outside before being fully vaccinated, that's how it happened.
Cats who contract it expel it in their urine, and cats who are outside are in danger if unvaccinated.

As I'm sure you know, it's quite deadly, I hope your kitty pulls through this.
Something else to know, you have the virus all over your home now so it should be off limits to any cats unless fully vaccinated for at least the next 18 months.
Hi my cats is still not well, we have been treating him for a week now. Daily IV drips and antibiotic therapy.. what should i do? He is still not eating.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't tell you what to do, it's surprising he is still alive after having it for a week honestly, and surely due to his care at the vet.
He might be lucky and pull through, it happens, but honestly more often not.
I'm sure it's running up quite a bill, and he may still not make it. But then again he may have a turning point and start showing signs of recovery. It's hopeful that he is still hanging in there.
I hope you visit him daily, he needs the love and familiarity of you. A depressed kitty won't recover.