7lb kitten at 18 weeks?

cnorman126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About a month ago we adopted two kittens and we just got then a check up at the vet, Gimmly weighed in at 7lbs at 18 weeks. Is this normal? Our other kitten was 5lbs and theyre the same age. Gimmly has a pot belly and a big appetite butbthe vet says he has no worms and is healthy. He just seems quite large. Any idea how big hes going to get?

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It depends on what genes he inherited.   I assume this cat is mixed breed.    Our cat had a litter of 4 kittens.   1 of them was double the size of the others.   Turns out the Tom was part Ragamuffin and the big kitten inherited those genes.   He grew up to be about 20 lbs but he is not obese - just big.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
16 week olds are about 4 lbs, 20 week olds are right about 5 lbs on average. Average doesn't mean they're all going to weigh the same, however it sounds to me like your cat is going to be a BIG boy :)

I love that!!

There could also have been a miscalculation in his age too, it amazes me how many folks who really should be able to estimate better are often way off. Rescues and shelters, who have certainly had their share!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cnorman126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got both boys at 14 weeks and Gimmly was barely 3lbs. We thought he was going to be the runt since his sisters were so big and he was so under fed and really sickly when we got him. Its been 4 weeks and his weight has shot up tremendously. We had to stop free feeding them since he was finally at a healthy weight. Hes going to be such a big boy :)

Heres Gimmly at 19 weeks :)

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What a beautiful ( big ) boy :D. :lol3:

He got big feet he needs to grow into. ;) Maybe your boy is part Maine Coon that would explain his large size :D