7_month old kitten weighs 12 pounds

PaulaRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 7 months old kitten already weighs 12 pounds. He doesn't look fat but I'm worried that that he may be too heavy. Any advice on feeding him? I also have a 4-year-old female cat.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A picture would really help to know if he is just big or potentially needs some feeding tips. I have a 7 pound, 16 pound and 9 pound cat in my household and all three are perfectly healthy weights despite the wide range of weights.

Generally, kittens should be fed unlimited while they are growing. If he is a healthy 12 pounds at his age then he might be growing until he's 2 years old which would also mean unlimited food until then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PaulaRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens need to eat as much as they want until about a year old.
If he doesn't look overweight, he isn't. He may just be a larger than ordinary cat. Plenty of them around!
I wouldn't worry too much. Do you have a photo to share?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sitting photos are hard to judge but he doesn't look overweight. Just looks like a big boy.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's so cute!
He does look somewhat larger than the average 7 month old lol - but he's also curled up in a ball so hard to tell his overall body condition.
I really would not worry about it for another few months. Once he hits a year reassess at that point.

Vaughn72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He might just be a big boy. I've got one that's part Manx and he's 17 pounds but also really tall and long, so not considered overweight

vvicin01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 11 month male cat that is 12 pounds as well. He always wants to eat. We limit the dry food but he puts away (2) 3 oz wet can food plus some dry food. He is always hungry. We was dewormed and very active. Not sure what to make of it.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try palpating his ribs. Then compare that feels to this chart:

Your kitten doesn't look overweight to me (and I like to keep pets lean), but with these photos it is hard to know for sure. Generally speaking, restricting the intake of a growing kitten isn't advisable.

Try the knuckle test. That will be a better guide that people such as myself trying to judge off photos.

You have two great looking cats.

Bill

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's likely fine. My cat was similar age and size. He should have a little waist.

I also attached a photo of my heavier cat. You see how he has a little waist there at the back? That's a good sign. He has a bit of a primordial pouch that hangs down, but otherwise is sleek. His ribs put him more at the 6 than a 5 but when we sorted him down to a 5 he stopped playing, so we figured better an active 6 than a lethargic 5.

Attachments