75% Brown Classic Tabby & White, 25% Brown Marble Bengal?

shadyferret

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mojo has a Bengal's face, and a mixmatch coloring. His torso lines are brown on slightly browner, minus the dark black line down his back. I have no idea what it is, but I'm thinking it's brown classic tabby markings on brown marble coloring without the black. Both have black pattern outlines or black stripes, he doesn't.

Pictures of his fur:

(Brown one)

He has white boots on his hind legs and white toes on his front legs. His estimated ideal weight is 11 pounds. His temperment is kind towards humans and agressive with pretecting his territory. He's tried hunting down dogs, but alas, it was a TV dog.

Any ideas?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you know that one of his grandparents was a purebred, it's highly unlikely. Less than 1% of the U.S. cat population are purebreds, and purebred mixes aren't really any more common. He does have lovely coloring, for sure! But I'm not sure what it's called :tongue2::

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadyferret

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know nothing. I'm merely trying to find the most likely or canidate breed mixes for this mixed kitty. He's a stray. I don't mean he's one or the other, I mean he's a non-pedgree cat. The patterns are not consistent with one another if you compare his legs to his torso. I was complancant with considering him a Brown Classic & White tabby, which is just a really common non-pedgree type. Then a vet asked me if he's part Bengal and now I'm curious.

Also, his hind legs are taller than is front legs, another bengal trait.

Thanks! I love his coloring.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brown is anything from a reddish tone, light brown, dark brown to black

So he's a brown tabby & white domestic, no breed

Vets are notorious for leading people astray with breed names that are very incorrect

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know nothing. I'm merely trying to find the most likely or canidate breed mixes for this mixed kitty.
Seriously, there aren't any candidate breeds.  Most cats contain nothing of any particular breed.  They have random-bred themselves through the years.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That line from his eye?  Surely that's simply part of a tabby pattern.  It's on all the pictures of tabby cats I found via Google.

shadyferret

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've always just referred to him as a domestic shorthair, but I got a little caught in maybe finally having an idea what mixes he could be if it was so 'easy' to identify a breed for the vet. Guess I should've known better :p

I noticed that his facial, torso, and leg fur color and patterns are almost dead on for an Oriental Chestnut Brown shorthair tabby, but the body type is completely wrong. The facial fur patterns for the oriental brown tabby is almost near identical to the bengal. I guess that facial coloring with the golden brown just below the tabby eyeline isn't as unique as I thought.

Mostly I was wondering because of health issues, but as a mix, knowing the breed mixes wouldn't really mean anything. Oh well, he's still my pretty brown boy with the golden fleck fur :D

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've always just referred to him as a domestic shorthair, but I got a little caught in maybe finally having an idea what mixes he could be if it was so 'easy' to identify a breed for the vet. Guess I should've known better :p

I noticed that his facial, torso, and leg fur color and patterns are almost dead on for an Oriental Chestnut Brown shorthair tabby, but the body type is completely wrong. The facial fur patterns for the oriental brown tabby is almost near identical to the bengal. I guess that facial coloring with the golden brown just below the tabby eyeline isn't as unique as I thought.

Mostly I was wondering because of health issues, but as a mix, knowing the breed mixes wouldn't really mean anything. Oh well, he's still my pretty brown boy with the golden fleck fur :D

And he is beautiful.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Firstly your average vet knows very little about different breeds of cat - they will identify any pointed shorthair as Siamese for example. 

Secondly tabby markings on the face are the same across all breeds, and there are four body patterns (ticked, stripped, spotted, classic) which all occur in random-bred cats although the clairty and definition is rarely as good as on a good quality pedigree.

Last edited by a moderator:

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best guess would be a classic tabby with a lot of ticking in the coat. He does have a somewhat unusual/interesting look to the pattern, though. Very pretty!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or a ticked tabby with ghost markings...  They are not all as unmarked as Abysinnians.

Lovely cat though.

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a gorgeous ticked tabby and people say all of the time he's an Abyssinian mix. I have to correct them and tell them he's just a domestic ticked tabby. His mama was a tortie stray, and the daddy- who knows, but definitely a stray with no pedigree ancestry. That's the wonderful thing about kitties- is that they come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and patterns- but just because a certain one is associated with a breed doesn't mean every kitty that carries that trait IS partially that breed!

In the first picture he looks like he has the classic tabby swirls. He has a gorgeous chocolate color to him! Very gorgeous kitty :)

Last edited:

shadyferret

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought I replied @blueyedgirl5946 and @OrientalSlave a while ago... I swear, one of my computers doesn't like actually posting a reply, it likes to fool me.

@blueyedgirl5946: Thanks

@OrientalSlave: Yeah, I know the tabby eyelines are the same, I meant the fur changes around the eyelines. I thought the lightened color  - compared to the rest of the facial fur - below the eyeline was unique, but it's not. The faded strips on his torso are probably from the lack of definition of a pedigree. A ticked tabby with ghost markings for those really faded marks makes a lot of sense though, considering how much ticking he has and the vibrant colors. Thanks.

@Neckochan: Thanks! He looks more stripped then ticked until he gets in the sunlight. Then he's kind of blinding o_O

@clynn111: Torties are cute. Is it a ticked tortie? He seems to have the swirls of the classic brown tabby but they are very faded. Thanks, he's like carmel, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate rolled into one!

@Callista: Thanks, his fur is so shiny in the sunlight it can be blinding. Those pictures were taken one morning when the sun finally broke through the clouds. I didn't need any additional light, his fur catches sunlight so well.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is very handsome! If he is outgoing I bet he would do well at cat shows.
I have a ticked tabby and a ticked torbie(with white), they are littermates. They were born feral, the mom was black though. The other kittens in the litter, there was another ticked torbie (without white), a mackerel torbie and the rest were tabbies but they all even the mackerel tabbies had a lot of ticking in their coats. The mackerel tabbies from the litter still had the mackerel stripes but all the ticking/agouti kinda fades or breaks up the stripes. I also kept two of their brothers who are mackerel tabbies (with white). There were 7 kittens total in the litter! Fun when I had to bottle feed them, and trying to tell them apart when squirming in a pile begging for milk.

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The tortie mama is actually the girl in my avatar if you want to check her out!!! Pic is back from when she was preggers.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, this boy has an absolutely gorgeous coat on him.
It is a fascinating pattern and it would be interesting to know what is going on genetically.
I thought of the same thing Oriental did when I was looking at the close up of the back..... I wondered if he might be heterozygous (one copy of the gene) for Ticked Tabby, with ghost markings of his main tabby pattern showing.
Actually he looks like 3 tabby patterns at once which is crazy! This pattern on his side, it almost looks more mackerel -- a vertical stripe pattern -- BUT then there are some swirls that are sort of like classic tabby - and that shouldn't be possible to have both mackerel and classic!

His base color is black since his darkest markings are black. The brown is related to variations caused by the tabby genes. which can turn out in a great variety. and by rufous polygenes making a warmer tone.

Marble is not a color, it is really the name used in Bengals for the classic tabby pattern, but with selective breeding to make it flow more horizontally and avoid the bull's eye markings. ( plus they breed to get a similar kind of 3 shades of color as in the rosettes of the Spotted Tabby Bengals. ) That doesn't look like a marble Bengal pattern to me at all.
I'm really not seeing anything that strongly suggests a Bengal grandparent, though it is a popular breed and there are some irresponsible breeders and owners, so there are some Bengal mixes around... but I doubt there are nearly so many as people think -- its popularity has also led to people thinking any unusual tabby must be part Bengal.

But cats who are entirely random-bred without pedigreed ancestors can come in a wonderful variety.
and re patterns in Orientals etc. they all originally came from moggies. though selective breeding does tend to make them more distinct etc.
Anyway this is one cool looking cat!

shadyferret

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Nekochan: I've thought about entering him in those "average joe" cat shows, but he's chronically ill. He's outgoing when he feels well enough, but that's a day-by-day basis. Hopefully with the new treatment he's on, he'll start to feel better and lose weight (being overweight aggrevates the condition). If he gets well then he'll probably do okay in a show. :)

Bottle-feeding can be fun if you don't accidently squirt it in their face :X Ticking seems to supersede strips somewhat because I've got another cat like that too. He doesn't have a mackerel pattern though, just stripped. Your ticked mackerels sound cute.

@clynn11: She's pretty :) I like that pale peach undercoat.

@maewkaew: I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for a little bit of a Bengal ;) But I'm okay with my domestic shorthair being Bengal-free. I searched all of my photos to look for a good image of the markings of his torso but there really isn't any for various reasons (i.e. bad resolution, most of them are him cuddling another cat, etc). His torso does have some swirls and I think he's got vertical lines away from his midsection, but it's hard to tell in a brown-on-brown coat. Or black-variation-on-black-variation coat :p His patterns are more obvious in the sunlight and idk when that's happening!

These were the best I could find for his patterns (I threw in an underbelly image since it has some pattern to it):

(The "hole" in his boot is awesome because the brown pattern continues on as if there was never a boot there. I call it his stocking)

(yes, that is a batman blanket behind him)

FYI, the changes in his glossy coat vary because these pictures and the ones above were taken over 14 months. He wasn't doing well when I first got him from the shelter, having gained 3-4 pounds in 6 weeks from dry food and no exercise. Totally different story, way too easy to rant about. Just an FYI about the coat.