7 yr. old with herpes

jag007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to ask for reader's opinions & help. I am in my late 60's & have had canines my whole life. When I had 3 dogs still w/ me, a stray kitty started to show up & then a second. Long story short, all my dogs (15) have gone to the "bridge" and are waiting for me to show up.  After feeding both strays, I took them in and 5 yrs. later I now have a small home with 7 felines. Love them to death. the oldest female (7), there are 2 males & 5 ladies, was recently diagnosed with herpes. I started giving her l-lysine several months ago. The 1st container I bought from the vet, and he told me to check on-line for prices. QUESTION 1- is there a huge difference in quality in this product? The 1st jug cost $31, the 2nd (on-line) was $19 for 3.5 ozs. Today I found a 160z. container for $15.??? QUESTION 2- I have read some comments about  lactoferrin in combo with the l-lysine. WHERE DO YOU BUY IT AND HOW MUCH  -  FINAL QUESTION.  Should I be giving l-lysine to my other felines? If this latest purchase is ok quality wise, I could afford to give it to all 7. Being retired , it gets tough with all the Dr. bills, food, treats,etc.  thanks in advance for any advice    JAG007

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome aboard TCS! 

I, too, have a herpes kitty.  She is now 10 (How time has flown!) and has been diagnosed for 8 years.  We give the Vitacost brand powdered Lysine.  Just 1/4 teaspoon equals 500 mg.  Right now on their site, it's only $6.49!  We usually stock up and buy about 6 containers at a time.  The powder dissolves easily is a little bit of water mixed into wet food and is tasteless and odorless.

http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-l-lysine-powder-435-mg-per-serving-1-lb-454-g

Not sure if you know this, but for lysine to be effective, you have to give it twice daily.  Because it's an amino acid, it's secreted out of the body through urination as the day goes on.  It's important for the lysine to stay in the system to be most effective. 

I give Lysine to all my kitties, but one has asthma like symptoms, one has weepy eyes, and the last one just because.  LOL  It won't hurt the others to have it, or to give it if they are sneezy or have weepy eyes.

I hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jag007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for your prompt response. I ordered the larger 1 lb. size for $9.29 & now will be able to give it to all 7 kitties  .

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I buy lactoferrin on amazon or eBay. It is about $22 for 60 250 mg capsules. I give half a capsule per day, in two doses (like the lysine).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jag007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
good to know ty 2