7 year Indoor Cat suddenly stops jumping up?

RangosMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello! My 7 year old cat, Rango, has suddenly stop jumping up to the bed or couch. It has been 3 days. I try to bribe him with a treat and you can see him thinking about it and trying, but cannot make the pounce up. I'm get very worried that there is something internally wrong.

Anyone have a similar experience? Contemplating taking him to the vet tomorrow, but with COVID-19 right now... it is difficult.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
hello! My 7 year old cat, Rango, has suddenly stop jumping up to the bed or couch. It has been 3 days. I try to bribe him with a treat and you can see him thinking about it and trying, but cannot make the pounce up. I'm get very worried that there is something internally wrong.

Anyone have a similar experience?
Hello and first of all, do not panic first.

Just a few observations you have to make from now, is he eating well? Peeing and pooping normally? Is he active in his play like chasing a ball or just running around? Or is he just less active and more on laying around? Is his walk normal? Do you see any limping when he walk? And how about his sitting down and getting up, is it at the normal speed?

Take notes on this which may give you a better idea if there is an underlying health issue.

Sometimes, cats may have just hurt their legs while jumping or running but since your cat is 7 years old, it could be due to arthritis as your cat ages and that may explain why he is not jumping up the couch or bed as he may have difficulties in doing that as the joints are stiff and swollen and could be painful at times and because of the ailments, his activities may be slowed down too.

What you can do is make steps for him to get up the couch or bed and have a litterbox with low sides so that he can go in and out easily to pee and poo else he may just do it elsewhere.

But of course best is to bring him to your vet for a professional advise and treatment.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it has been 3 days I would be concerned enough to push for a vet check. I know things are harder right now but most vets will pick your cat up from your car. Just make sure the carrier is secured very well. I use extra closures arond the door, latch and around the bolts of the carrier. Electrical tie warps, cord, twist ties or small pieces of wire work well. Kitty may have a sprain or something simple but the vet can at least provide pain relief until healing is complete. Please let us know how kitty is doing. :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RangosMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is eating and going to the bathroom normally. I could be wrong, but I don't see this being arthritis as it was very sudden behavior change.

He is still walking normally, but less active.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He is eating and going to the bathroom normally. I could be wrong, but I don't see this being arthritis as it was very sudden behavior change.

He is still walking normally, but less active.
So that is why I mentioned to do the observations first. Maybe it's just him, we never know.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did he recently get startled by something or slip off after a jump? Sometimes cat do react to things we wouldn’t ordinarily notice by changing behavior. Does him seem to be nervous about jumping? Do his paws and claws look okay? Sometimes they can hurt a claw. A call to the vet might be in line. At least reassuring.