7 Wk Old Kitten Slowly Gaining Weight

everydayloki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I am a first time foster to four creamsicle kittens and they are about seven weeks old. Three of them are doing fantastic but one is having some problems. He had a few days of vomiting after I began to slowly change their dry food and he started to lose weight. I took him to the vet on Tuesday and they gave him fluids and an anti nausea shot. I also took in a stool sample and the vet said that looked normal (the kittens also got a dewormer medicine that day). The anti nausea medicine worked for about a day and he vomited twice in the evening/overnight Wednesday night/Thursday morning. I noticed the vomit mostly had kibble bits in it so I took away the kibble from him. He eats really well and poops and pees normally. Yesterday, he found a bit of kibble and was trying to eat but was having difficulty so I added water in case the pieces were too big and that was making him sick. He ate that just fine and then 30-45 min later he vomited up mostly water and a little kibble so I think he still has a sensitivity to the dry food. He eats the wet food just fine so I have been giving him more of that 5x a day (he ate about half a small can this morning..I have been feeding him slowly and away from his siblings and I think that has helped decrease some of the vomiting). He only gained 5g in weight from yesterday to today and I was wondering if there is anything I can give him to help him increase weight? Is this slow weight gain normal after being sick? Also, should I try a different dry food or take it away for now and slowly reintroduce it?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I would stop the kibble and give him as much wet food as he can eat. Also add some unflavored Pedialyte, and mix in some Kitten Milk Replacer :vibes::crossfingers:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:yeah: I agree. Give him plenty of wet food for now and hold off on the dry. The pedialyte is good to use also. If he continues to vomit see the vet again for more anti-nausea meds. He may just have a sensitive tummy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

everydayloki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I would stop the kibble and give him as much wet food as he can eat. Also add some unflavored Pedialyte, and mix in some Kitten Milk Replacer :vibes::crossfingers:
Thanks for the advice. How much Pedialyte should I add?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he ok with his canned food being a little soupy? If his system is ok with it and he doesn't get runny poops, try every other meal.