7 Week Old Rejected Kitten Care

rebeccalynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend's mother found what we think is a seven week old kitten on her doorstep the other day. She has tried to put it back with the mother and she keeps bringing it back to the door. We might be taking him in tonight and I'm looking for advice for giving him the best care I can so I have it before he comes home. Any advice is helpful, as I've never cared for one so young before. Thanks [emoji]128568[/emoji]

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know the situation, but it would be best to let both momma and kitten in. That way she'll take care of him for you and you can take him home at the recommended 10 -12 weeks. If she didn't want him, she would have just abandoned him somewhere random, not return him every time to you guys.

I do hope someone can take care of momma as well, she seems to be leaving the kitty somewhere she knows he will be safe as a sign of motherly sacrifice. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rebeccalynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boyfriends mom watched her carry him back. She has had two litters with one kitten only and my boyfriends mom took the first kitten in. And we leave food out on the stoop for all of the cats. There's at least 15 stray cats on the land that stay together. The mother is very small we don't think she can care for him as he grows. They are almost the smae size now she was the runt of her litter mates

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is bringing her kitten to you to feed and care for since her resources are limited. This is very sweet! I hope you'll take good care of him.

It's nice that you help to feed all of these strays. Is there a way that you can begin working with your city or county or Humane Society to trap, spay/neuter, and release these animals to get the population under control?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rebeccalynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We can. My boyfriends grandfather owns the property and he doesn't want them trapped and fixed. He likes having the cats and kittens around. But not all of them will come around people. He has worked on the barns on the land so that they have a place to sleep and be sheltered from the elements. The only reason we have the two kittens now is because the mother who we've nicknamed Peanut (due to her size) has dropped them off with us in hopes we will care for them

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
rebeccalynn rebeccalynn

At 7 weeks old the kitten is old enough for wet food. Pate-style, such as Fancy Feast, is easier for a young kitten to eat than anything chunky. He or she will also need kitten chow and fresh water, and a kitten-sized litter box, which you'll have to show him.

You may also want to pick up some cat toys, such as mice and balls, and maybe an interactive toy on a string. Kittens love to play and explore!

Let us know if you have any other questions after you get him home. Is there any way you can take his mom too?

Last edited: