7 week old kitten not eating soft food yet

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can anyone give me ideas about how to get my new kitten Sunshine to eat soft food. She’s still nursing from the momma cat. I have a vet appointment next Tuesday.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nursing at 7 weeks isn't a bad thing. Just keep offering mom lots of wet food and Sunshine will catch on when she is ready (or when Mom gives her the boot). While most kittens are weaning earlier some just prefer to wean later and there isn't anything wrong with it. Kittens should stay with their moms until at least 12 weeks old so they can learn manners from mom. Most will be weaned by 12 weeks old, even the more stubborn ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nursing at 7 weeks isn't a bad thing. Just keep offering mom lots of wet food and Sunshine will catch on when she is ready (or when Mom gives her the boot). While most kittens are weaning earlier some just prefer to wean later and there isn't anything wrong with it. Kittens should stay with their moms until at least 12 weeks old so they can learn manners from mom. Most will be weaned by 12 weeks old, even the more stubborn ones.
As little as I want to, I’m going to have to bring her home before she’s 12 weeks. My son and daughter in law have to move and most likely won’t be able to take them

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kitten lady has a good guide to weaning, Weaning — Kitten Lady. I would stress that ideal is leaving the kitten with mom to wean naturally. If she does have to leave early, you will need to take over for mom in teaching manners. Kittens removed prior to 12 weeks often develop later in life issues centered around not understanding boundaries, how to play, bitting and scratching.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish the situation was ideal for my Sunshine, but unfortunately it isn’t. I would love nothing more than to leave her with her momma.
I have a cat that wasn’t with her momma the whole 12 weeks and doesn’t scratch or bite. She’s actually very loving. So I’m hopeful that Sunshine will be just the same.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hoping for you too.

As to Sunshine, the general consensus is that around that age it's more hesitation to try then inability. They typically will copy Mom but a combination of making the food very lickable and having them taste it off fingers usually gets them going.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How soon will the kitten be separated from her mom? Will the mom be spayed soon?

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hoping for you too.

As to Sunshine, the general consensus is that around that age it's more hesitation to try then inability. They typically will copy Mom but a combination of making the food very lickable and having them taste it off fingers usually gets them going.
Well, she’s finally eating kitten food but won’t eat it from a plate. She will only eat it off of someone’s hand and that’s my fault. I started feeding her from my hands just to try to get her to eat. :wavey: Oh well as long as she’s eating now

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How soon will the kitten be separated from her mom? Will the mom be spayed soon?
I can’t answer the question about the mon being spayed because it’s not my cat.
Sunshine will be coming home with me Tuesday and she will be 8 weeks old

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Up date on my new kitten Sunshine. She is now eating soft kitten food and full of energy.