7 week old kitten has fleas

Mpichel3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
We just rescued a kitten last night from someone who couldn’t keep her any longer. I’m a flea freak(seriously) so as soon as we took her home I locked her in bathroom and checked for fleas. To no surprise, I picked one off her. She’s been locked in bathroom with just a blanket and towel as we do not want to risk the whole house getting infested or our dog. The previous owners say she was born on Christmas so she will be 8 weeks next week.
We’ve given him one dawn flea bath last night and one flea came off him. This morning i combed him and combed 2 fleas off him. Some flea dirt as well Any recommendations on how to curb this right away? Is our house safe from fleas if we keep him locked up until he’s flea free? We’ve treated our pup since we got him, so he’s safe right? I am freaking out and HATE fleas so I just want to get rid of the fleas ASAP so kitty can be able to live and play with puppy and also give me peace of mind!!

thanks in advance

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since it is a new kitten, I'd see your vet to get a health check and a Revolution perscription while you are at it. Revolution is safe for kittens at 6 weeks (and it's the same one recommended for rabbits or ferrets so it is safer in general). But Revolution will take care of the fleas plus some very quickly. It's the safest and quickest option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mpichel3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since it is a new kitten, I'd see your vet to get a health check and a Revolution perscription while you are at it. Revolution is safe for kittens at 6 weeks (and it's the same one recommended for rabbits or ferrets so it is safer in general). But Revolution will take care of the fleas plus some very quickly. It's the safest and quickest option.
Thanks so much!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bathe him, in the sink, with dish soap. Like a real bath.

Mpichel3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We did that last night. Not as thorough as we should have. And still finding live fleas on him.
Bathe him, in the sink, with dish soap. Like a real bath.
[/QUOTE

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Was it blue Dawn dish soap, or another color?

Mpichel3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was it blue Dawn dish soap, or another color?
Blue, but I’ll be honest we weren’t thorough. Will be trying again tonight after watching a few videos

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
There's something about blue Dawn (not with the other colors) that stuns fleas, when bathed really well.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It'll take a few weeks to get rid of the fleas. The adult fleas can be removed with baths and prescription flea products but the unhatched eggs and juveniles are unaffected. Keep up with frequent combing wit a flea comb, vaccuuming (a flea collar in the waste bin supposedly helps kill any fleas sucked up), washing anything the kitten sleeps on in hot water, etc.