7 week old kitten hacking/snorting. Guidance appreciated.

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I have been fostering three kittens since they were about 4 days old. They are about 7.5 weeks old now and doing great.

Oreo, our little tuxedo kitty, has been making some odd sounds. Today is the second time it has happened. The first time was the night before last. It sounds like a snorting, puffing, heaving sound. It sounds similar to our previous cat when she would have a hairball.

Tbey have all started grooming themselves a lot lately and he grooms his siblings on occasion. He eats canned food 4 times a day and has access to Solid Gold dry kitten kibble all day and night. He eats very well and loves his foods. I also offer the bottle with formula a couple times a day because our little girl won’t drink water from the bowl and still loves her formula. Oreo will drink formula once a day but only a couple mls. Our other kitty, Chunk, doesn’t want formula at all anymore.

The other night when he made that noise I thought he was choking so I opened his mouth and shined my light down his throat to check for a string or anything but I couldn’t see anything. I am not a vet so maybe there was something and I didn’t see it. They have been seen by our vet at 1 week, 2 weeks, and 4 weeks and were healthy each time.

Yesterday, he vomited up some yellow bile about 6 hours after he had eaten. I thought it was because I had gone too long without feeding them wet food. What could be causing this? Is he too young to have a hairball? He is so playful and wild and hasn’t been acting differently at all. I’m trying not to panic but this is my first time ever raising kittens so I’m not sure what I am doing sometimes. He’s also been the only one to give me any health scares since he has bloody stool at 2 weeks old and severe constipation at 1 week old. He also gains weight slower than the other 2 and stays skinny. The vet put him on antibiotics for the bloody stool and I switched his formula to Breeder’s Edge and he’s been doing great ever since. I appreciate all your knowledge and experiences. I hope this is just normal kitten development.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is this little wild one in a rare quiet moment :)

753EA674-DBAA-4EAB-AD30-8F3CABDEAD58.jpeg
97B3D0F4-EFDD-49DE-8793-F14679A0F9AC.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Had they been dewormed for good? Twice? It could be worms....

And yeah, it could be hairballs, if he grooms so much... cat malt is supposed to help with hairballs...

Otherwise, you could prob give him some cat grass, so he will have healthy vomitings... Cats are renown for vomiting up their hair balls; and typically they do it after eating cat grass...

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply! Actually they haven’t been dewormed yet. They had nothing come back on their decal test the vet did at 4 weeks old. The vet said when they go in for their vaccinations at 8 weeks, she would also give them the first dose of dewormer. Is dewormed something I can purchase on my own?

We are keeping them since the shelters here have so many kittens and cats that need homes and my daughter and husband love them as much as I do. For this reason we are waiting until they are 3 pounds to get them spayed and neutered too.

Can a 7 week old kitten have cat grass? Is that safe for them? And I don’t know what cat malt is but I can do some research. He seems very healthy and active so I don’t think he is ill but I am still really worried since I have not heart the other 2 kittens make that sound.

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet about it when you go in another week. It sounds like something sticks occasionally. Laxatone may be better than grass at easing whatever it is. You can order a tube from Chewy:

VETOQUINOL Laxatone Tuna Flavored Gel Hairball Control Supplement for Cats, 4.25-oz tube - Chewy.com
[/QUOT
Ask the vet about it when you go in another week. It sounds like something sticks occasionally. Laxatone may be better than grass at easing whatever it is. You can order a tube from Chewy:

VETOQUINOL Laxatone Tuna Flavored Gel Hairball Control Supplement for Cats, 4.25-oz tube - Chewy.com
Thank you both Sarthur2 Sarthur2 and StefanZ StefanZ

I will keep a close eye on him and ask the vet at his next appointment. I appreciate your help!

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2
Hello! Sorry to bother you. I took all 3 kittens to the vet today for their first set of vaccinations. They each were given 2 injections and an oral dewormer.
They also each had a small blood draw done to test for feline leukemia. They all tested negative.
They were fine when we can back from the vet at around 11am. It is now 7:28pm here and they are all acting more tired, slept all afternoon and no playing, uninterested in their dinner which has never happened before and Oreo is having shivers. They also have all cried when I picked them up to check
on them and I think that is from soreness.
Is this normal behavior after vaccines for kittens?
My poor little babies seem so quiet and not themselves at all and I am so worried. Especially since they all rejected their dinner which they usually gobble down. One is hiding in the carrier and doesn’t want to come out.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2
Hello! Sorry to bother you. I took all 3 kittens to the vet today for their first set of vaccinations. They each were given 2 injections and an oral dewormer.
They also each had a small blood draw done to test for feline leukemia. They all tested negative.
They were fine when we can back from the vet at around 11am. It is now 7:28pm here and they are all acting more tired, slept all afternoon and no playing, uninterested in their dinner which has never happened before and Oreo is having shivers. They also have all cried when I picked them up to check
on them and I think that is from soreness.
Is this normal behavior after vaccines for kittens?
My poor little babies seem so quiet and not themselves at all and I am so worried. Especially since they all rejected their dinner which they usually gobble down. One is hiding in the carrier and doesn’t want to come out.
Yes, its quite common they are down after vaccines. Many just a little, some few quite a much...

Its of course not entirely harmless, there are potential dangers if maximal unlucky. But as said, being down under the weather is common enough.

Make sure they are comfortable, quiet, warm. Have water. (you can always give a droplet of white caro syrup on the gum, under the lip).

And hope for the best.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yep, vaccines do this to kittens. It usually passes in a day or two, but some take a week or so. Let’s hope yours recover quickly!

If any are still not eating or drinking after a day, syringe sugar or honey water or unflavored pedialyte in small amounts every so often for hydration and energy.

If any are still shivering and hiding, call the vet and ask for an anti-inflammatory such as Onsior. Most pull through just fine. It’s just that they are so small and their immune systems are immature, so the vaccines really give a kick.

Do keep us posted! K Kittymom35

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the detailed replay Sarthur2 Sarthur2 . I really really appreciate it. I was worried all night because they have still not wanted to eat anything. They seem a little better this morning as they are waking up. Your reply has brought me peace of mind and I can’t thank you enough. Have a wonderful day! :rock:

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, its quite common they are down after vaccines. Many just a little, some few quite a much...

Its of course not entirely harmless, there are potential dangers if maximal unlucky. But as said, being down under the weather is common enough.

Make sure they are comfortable, quiet, warm. Have water. (you can always give a droplet of white caro syrup on the gum, under the lip).

And hope for the best.
StefanZ StefanZ
Thank you for your encouraging reply. I will keep checking on them and make sure they stay hydrated. I hope this will pass quickly and they will be back to normal soon. I appreciate your knowledge. It bring me some peace of mind knowing they will most likely be okay.
Have a great day!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s not easy to see your babies in pain and not feeling well. I’ve been there so many times. Our hearts break for their suffering, but this too shall pass and they will be back to pigging out and playing before you know it! :catlove: