7 month old cat sneezing and breathing with mouth open???

krisiscalibri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry if I am posting incorrectly but I am desperate you see.My little cat Hannah  has been sneezing for about a day and a half but recently she is breathing with her mouth open.I would take her to the vet but I have no idea how I will come up with the money for her vet bills again (she got really sick a few months back almost lost her $600 later she was a happy kitten).Now my family is strapped for cash and another bill like that would put us way in the red so if I may ask? Is her symptoms normal at all or am I going to have to find a means to make sure my baby see a vet.

Oh I should break down the symptoms.She is sneezing but no mucus or discharge.Eating fine and drinking, currently sleeping but was playful a few minutes ago.We have been using clay base litter for over two months and she is indoor only.I hope that is enough info to get some help thank you in advance.

carinajosefine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry your kitten is ill :( This article has some good advice for your situation: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/no-money-for-vet-care-how-to-find-help-and-save-your-cats-life

When she is breathing with her mouth open, is the breathing still her normal rythm? It may sound like her airways are a bit clogged up. You could try to have her in the bathroom with you, when you have a shower, to see if some nasal discharge will loosen from that. Give her a dry spot to sit, and breath in the steam :) Make sure your house is nice and warm for her. If there is absolutely no way of getting her to a vet, Id try to get some immune system "boosters" for her. I dont know what you can get your hands on, but I have good experience with natural remedies that help the immune system. Can be bought at vet clinics in my country.

I would however try my very best to get her to a vets, and definately if the open mouth breathing persists, if she starts breathing heavier, or with wheezing sounds, if she eats or play less, or if this sneezing dont pass very soon. An URI and develope into a full blown lung infection, if not treated.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she open mouth breathing ALL the time, or just when she has exerted herself? 

Open mouth breathing is NOT NORMAL in cats.  They will do it when they have over exerted (playing hard) for just a few seconds, OR if they are in panic mode, or, I suppose, if their noses are completely stopped up, although honestly I've never heard anyone mention that before, that their cats were open mouth breathing, especially when they are still eating well.  Usually they don't eat if they can't smell, and they can't smell if their noses are plugged up.  Plus you say nothing is coming out when she sneezes, so I'm thinking she is not plugged up.

So....based on that, if she is open mouth breathing all the time and it doesn't appear her nose is stopped up, I would be taking her in to be checked, sooner than later.  She could have lung or heart issues.  Or it could be something else all together.  But I wouldn't take any chances.  I would at least take her in for a checkup, which shouldn't cost all that much.  Then you can take it from there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisiscalibri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First off thank you and second she breaths out her mouth once and a while but not after just playing sometimes as she sleep.she has improved a bit this morning still playing and eating as well.will try the steam shower later maybe that will clear her up a bit.her .breathing is normal not rapid I will try and contact a family member to see if they will help .