7-month old cat bites

kat262

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 7 months old, she was neutered 2 months ago. She has these really weird mood swings. Usually during the day she is really sweet, she comes up to me to cuddle and purrs the whole time, and she licks my face and sleeps on my lap.

But suddenly (usually in the evenings) she can become really aggressive. She bites and doesn’t back down, scratches me, attacks me (and my guests also). Usually this happens when she is not allowed something, like when she tries to eat food off the dinner table, enters the kitchen cabinets or scratches my furniture (I have one big cat tree and two big scratching posts).

I don’t yell at her, I just tell her no and then pick her up and put her somewhere else, but she will run away really quickly and then bite and attack. I’m afraid my cat gets scared of me, and that this might be the reason. So how do I regain her trust while also keeping boundaries and stopping her from biting?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe clap your hands with No, instead of picking her up?

I would suggest more play, if she is trying to play with you. In which case hiss or do a high pitch ow, then ignore her.

The scratching? Buy no stick tape or vinyl couch guard stickers & move a cat tree right next to the couch (a yes & a no.) About the cabinets, child locks. The trying to steal food? Tell her no and clap real loud. Maybe for a month lick her up in a room (with a litter box) & feed her. Then eat your dinner. Every meal. Then after a month, let her be around but if she tries to steal the food, tell her no & stick her in ‘her’ room. The attacking guests? Put her in her room before they come over. Later when she can behave, instruct your guests not to touch her & to stay put of your bedroom/her safe place. If you want you can look up training your cat to get treats on the cat tree & gradually train your cat to accept/expect treats from your guests.

Have patience. Even though they look like adults at 7 months, they are just teenagers until they hit 2-2.5 years old.