7 Cats...litter Costing A Fortune!!!

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 7 cats and order litter from chewy.com

*3 upstairs cats : uses a mix of frisco brand grass litter and Buffalo Blue walnut litter
*2 downstairs cats and 2 outdoor cats: uses a mix of buffalo Blue walnut litter and World's Best

The cost is about $75 a month!
I don't want to use clay litter cause it's a pain to transport and carry, also not good for cat's health.

What is the best way to budget?!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I don't know if this would work for you but I grab a bag of litter from tactor supply or a grocery store and mix it with littermaid's walnut litter. The cat likes the walnut, it's no dust plus it absorbs most of the dust from the less expensive litter.
So, maybe adding a cheap litter might be a bit more cost effective.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the Littermaid walnut litter costs a bit less?

Unfortunately, most non-clay litters are more expensive. I don't know a way around that. Tractor Supply sells corncob horse bedding that you might like, and pine pellets. Those are the only ones I can think of that cost less than clay.

Kitty_Galore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe you should try and buy some tiny wood chips from mills and mix it in with the litter you are using. It could reduce the cost :)

tlco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use to work for a vet she only treated cats and she used shreded news paper. Only draw back is you have to change it daily. The other option I used when I had 4 cats was from Tractor Supply, it was shaved pine bedding. A huge back for $4.00. People use it for other things like bedding for rabbits, mice ect. You can scoop out the pooh and change the shaving as needed for the pee. For my 4 cats that used same box I changed it every two days. No smell.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I don't know if this would work for you but I grab a bag of litter from tactor supply or a grocery store and mix it with littermaid's walnut litter. The cat likes the walnut, it's no dust plus it absorbs most of the dust from the less expensive litter.
So, maybe adding a cheap litter might be a bit more cost effective.
I like this idea. Non clay litter is just more expensive. I might try this. I've been looking to use something different but I can't really afford to spend more on litter.