67 days ??? Pregnant or not ??

lumicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hii all :)
I’m not sure if my gorgeous Lumi is pregnant or not. I have 2 cat. Lumi & O’Malley. Both are 1 & I’ve had both since being kittens. O’Malley was apparently a girl and I trusted the breeder to have confirmed the right sex -_-
It turned out that O’Malley is a boy! I noticed the giant paws and his bits hidden under his long fur about 7 months old. I had them both then booked in to be neutered but Covid happened so the appointments were cancelled.
My son caught Lumi and O’Malley doing the deed in our kitchen on May 11th. They’re both house cats and have never been outside.
She started showing pregnancy signs including a bit of morning sickness.
All was going well until about 5 days ago when I noticed her stomach seemed to shrink.
I was mega concerned that she had lost the kittens so searched everywhere but no signs at all.

Her stomach now hangs lower, her back 2 nipples are swollen and look like boobs.

Going off the day of mating (she’s not been in heat since), she would be 66/67 days pregnant but she has no signs at all of labour so I’m concerned she’s lost them or not pregnant at all. I feel like I’m going crazy because I swear I see them moving every so often but I’ve convinced myself I’m seeing things 😂

To sum up... she has prominent nipples and hasn’t been in heat since mating (that I’ve noticed) but her stomach isn’t big at all. She looks like she’s overweight around the mid section but is very slim everywhere else.
I’ll attach some pictures of my little beauties 😊 any advice welcome! I’m taking her to the vets Monday/Tuesday if no kittens by then too :)

9FF83F23-0FB5-41F6-927A-13315E231C87.jpeg
1562B4AF-F96F-4D24-AB08-6249030F6030.jpeg
9385ADE0-09A5-41D3-BF66-5C3639DC6969.jpeg
44D6ABD7-2A0C-48B2-9DE3-A29915C20DD7.jpeg
B82E69A5-2178-44DB-AE3D-E9F2207A7C2E.jpeg
DFE8ED69-87A3-46BE-8B87-014C9A1001D5.jpeg
EEE0108A-14E0-4C1D-A42E-9D27EFEF59CB.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What pretty cats! :lovecat2:

It sounds like she hasn’t had them yet, but she should any day now. The kittens have probably “dropped” into the birth canal in preparation for labor and delivery. Do you have a nest made for her?

Get O’Malley rescheduled for his neuter, and keep him 100% away from her until a couple weeks after his surgery so this doesn’t happen again. She can get pregnant again as early as one week after giving birth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lumicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What pretty cats! :lovecat2:

It sounds like she hasn’t had them yet, but she should any day now. The kittens have probably “dropped” into the birth canal in preparation for labor and delivery. Do you have a nest made for her?

Get O’Malley rescheduled for his neuter, and keep him 100% away from her until a couple weeks after his surgery so this doesn’t happen again. She can get pregnant again as early as one week after giving birth.
Yep she has 2 nests ready for her (you can see the corner of the box on one of the photos haha)
Yeah was making plans last night on how to keep them separate when she has them and afterwards. Getting them both neutered as soon as I can as I don’t want her going through pregnancies one after another (hence wanting 2 female cats lol)
They are both gorgeous so I’m excited to see the litter and already have homes planned with family (dependant on how many she potentially has).

Is it normal for her to look very small when so close to delivery? She’s still wide but definitely not as big as a lot of the photos of pregnant cats I’ve seen on other posts.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, once cats drop they tend to look smaller. It will be easier to isolate her with her kittens in a quiet place like a bedroom with a door you can close.

She cannot be spayed until the kittens are 8 weeks old, so go ahead and get him done as sperm can live 2-4 weeks beyond his neuter.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep she has 2 nests ready for her (you can see the corner of the box on one of the photos haha)
Yeah was making plans last night on how to keep them separate when she has them and afterwards. Getting them both neutered as soon as I can as I don’t want her going through pregnancies one after another (hence wanting 2 female cats lol)
They are both gorgeous so I’m excited to see the litter and already have homes planned with family (dependant on how many she potentially has).

Is it normal for her to look very small when so close to delivery? She’s still wide but definitely not as big as a lot of the photos of pregnant cats I’ve seen on other posts.
Hi, my girl certainly looked so much smaller the day before delivery. The kittens only dropped less than 24hrs before she had them.
I bet she doesn't have to long now, have you noticed any other changes?
Best of luck, they both look beautiful ❤

lumicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my girl certainly looked so much smaller the day before delivery. The kittens only dropped less than 24hrs before she had them.
I bet she doesn't have to long now, have you noticed any other changes?
Best of luck, they both look beautiful ❤
She looks bigger today haha. She’s baffled me. And her 2 bottom nipples are like boobs. She seems abit restless today. Searching around a lot. I’ve separated her from O’Malley as he’s very rough when he plays so I’m worried he will stress her out etc resulting in her delaying her labour.
Her stomach seems active. Some rippling, a few tail twitches and the bottom of her back twitches every now and again. Still very hungry but hasn’t slept as much this evening as usual.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She looks bigger today haha. She’s baffled me. And her 2 bottom nipples are like boobs. She seems abit restless today. Searching around a lot. I’ve separated her from O’Malley as he’s very rough when he plays so I’m worried he will stress her out etc resulting in her delaying her labour.
Her stomach seems active. Some rippling, a few tail twitches and the bottom of her back twitches every now and again. Still very hungry but hasn’t slept as much this evening as usual.
Yes I'd certainly keep her and O'Malley separated, she needs to feel comfortable. Is there a particular spot that she seems to like? My girl didn't actually choose a birthing box right until the last minute, some don't so I wouldn't worry.
These are the changes my mama cat had 24hrs before birth; lose stools, drinking (Alot) of water, more affectionate, alot of purring and deep breathing, kittens very active before dropping.
If possible I'd be with her at all times now, she may need your help and reassurance when labour starts.
Obviously if she wants to be on her own leave her be but so long as you are there if help is needed.
And definitely keep daddy away, Im doing the same although my boy is neutered but you never know how they will act and you want mama to feel comfortable and happy and to be able to bond with her babies.
Best of luck. 🥰

lumicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I'd certainly keep her and O'Malley separated, she needs to feel comfortable. Is there a particular spot that she seems to like? My girl didn't actually choose a birthing box right until the last minute, some don't so I wouldn't worry.
These are the changes my mama cat had 24hrs before birth; lose stools, drinking (Alot) of water, more affectionate, alot of purring and deep breathing, kittens very active before dropping.
If possible I'd be with her at all times now, she may need your help and reassurance when labour starts.
Obviously if she wants to be on her own leave her be but so long as you are there if help is needed.
And definitely keep daddy away, Im doing the same although my boy is neutered but you never know how they will act and you want mama to feel comfortable and happy and to be able to bond with her babies.
Best of luck. 🥰
She loves a few places in our livingroom so she now has the livingroom to herself at nighttime. We have her nest and litter tray set up in the room for her and she is welcome to give birth wherever she feels most comfortable... even if that means on my sofa 😮
She’s rarely left alone at the moment as we are keeping an eye on her. Last night she was doing some open mouth breathing so hopefully it’s a sign of things moving along. No kittens this morning but I know it’s just a waiting game :)

We’re letting O’Malley around her during the day whilst we can supervise so she can still cuddle and bathe him but they are separated when we can’t supervise or when we are in bed. They will be 100% separated when she has the kittens so ensure no mating and no harming the kittens :)

lumicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m rather confused. She looks saggy on her bottom 2 nipples and her others have pinked up.
She’s still slim for a cat (but fat for her if that makes sense?)... she’s even bigger after eating (I’ll attach a photo of this)...
I can’t feel movements anymore (I think I could a few weeks ago) but she does have jolts at her bum/base of her tail and her stomach seems to look like it ‘ripples’ but she’s all white so it’s so hard to see.
She just seems so comfortable. She’s definitely not been in heat since they were caught mating, she is very clumsy and seems like her body is too heavy for her to jump up over the safety gate etc when she used to be really agile.
She’s 68 days since mating. No discharge. Not even certain the changes to her are real 😂😂 driving myself insane

70BD7BA8-AE89-4EEE-B362-3745AAA78EF9.jpeg
CC04571C-F13C-4824-BBD1-98FBF3AADE72.jpeg

lumicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She also sits like a frog... like her back legs wider than her shoulders and her belly hangs between 😂

lumicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s just rolled over for me to stroke her belly and her bits look a little swollen and wet. Not a lot of moisture but definitely not something I’ve noticed before

lumicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She now has milky discharge.... currently chasing a rogue fly. Her back rippling every so often. Good signs ??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She definitely sounds pregnant, and may be in pre-labor or early labor. She should have kittens very soon. What you describe is end-of pregnancy signs. Be patient! :)

lumicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hii all. So sorry for delay getting back. I lost my log in details and life has been chaotic.
Lumi had 2 kittens. However, one had to be put to sleep. Lumi accidentally chewed his leg off confusing it as the placenta (as assume). We rushed him to the emergency vets but they said he was too small to even give pain relief. The chances of them saving a kitten his age was so the kindest thing for him was to put him to sleep.
It absolutely traumatised us 😔
She went on to have a second boy who was/is extremely healthy. We named him Pippin because of his pointy ears and how small he was when he was born.
Both Lumi and O’Malley are neutered/spayed. We were lucky to have an amazing vet & a lot of money put to one side in case of an emergency during the pregnancy.
It just goes to show that anything can go wrong. We were lucky that Lumi gave birth when we were awake. If it had been during the night; the poor boy would have suffered in pain until the morning. I cannot put into words how horrific it was and how awful we feel; like we did something wrong. However, the vet explained that kitten bones aren’t solid when born so Lumi wouldn’t have know the difference and it was entirely accidental.

Sorry for the delayed update!

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear that you lost one, how devastating!! These things can happen though unfortunately and like you say at least you were there to rush him to the vets.
Its fantastic news that little Pippin made it and is thriving 😊 (Do you have a photo of the little sweetheart?) How old is he now?
Thanks for updating us. 🥰

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for the loss, it shatters the heart when we lose an innocent like that. Horrible things like this happen and it was not ANYONES fault, it was a tragic accident. May the good Lord bless and keep him, until you meet again.........