60% protein cat diets?

ElocinSWIP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I've been reading a lot from vets, and some recommend getting protein to around 50-60% for cats. I bought some high protein food (Tiki Cat Luau- the chicken and the chicken/egg ones) and am planning to use it to supplement their normal diet (Friskies Pates- Poultry Platter, Liver and Chicken, Country Style, Mixed Grill, and Turkey/Giblets in rotation). If I change out one meal (they're fed 3xs a day) with the Tiki cat they'll be at 60% protein, 38% fat, and 2% carbs. Of course it partly depends on whether they finish their meals, and they also all seem to have an affinity for human food as treats, lol, but we try to keep it minimal.

My cats are 6 month female, almost 5 year old female, and 9 year old male. They're 5 lbs, 6.5 lbs, and 11 lbs respectfully and on the friskies they eat 3 cans/day (the kitten gets supplement kitten kibble on demand, other cats only get kibble as a treat). The 6 month old has cerebellar hypoplasia, the 5 year old has a rare neuromuscular disease (I think the higher protein might be good for her because it causes her to have high muscle mass), and the 9 year old has allergic asthma (seasonal, diet doesn't seem to change it, it has problems in the spring every year and usually needs inhalers for a couple months). They're all a body score 4 or 5. No major health issues other than these- no signs of diabetes, kidney issues, urinary tract, etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any concerns or feedback? Has anyone done something similar? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
You are correct that cats should ideally be getting over 50% of their calorie intake from animal protein. There are very few commercial foods that meet this because most don’t use lean meat high in protein. Tiki Cat and Weruva are the only two canned brands that come to mind in which some of their varieties are over 50% protein. They are able to do this because they manufacture in Thailand where using chicken breast is cheap. That’s why many of us make our own food. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ElocinSWIP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried the Tiki cat with the cats and they seemed to like it! They even let me add extra water to it, which they don't do with the Friskies.

I was wrong on the percentages, but it'll be around 53 to 55% protein, which seems to be within the range they need! They also get some chicken and turkey a few days a week. It'll triple my cat food budget, but prescription food could easily do the same, so it if helps keep them healthier I'm fine with it.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried the Tiki cat with the cats and they seemed to like it! They even let me add extra water to it, which they don't do with the Friskies.

I was wrong on the percentages, but it'll be around 53 to 55% protein, which seems to be within the range they need! They also get some chicken and turkey a few days a week. It'll triple my cat food budget, but prescription food could easily do the same, so it if helps keep them healthier I'm fine with it.
If feeding primarily commercial food I recommend rotating a couple of brands to given nutritional variety. Introducing something like the Weruva chicken cans that are also high in protein is not a bad idea.

If you're just giving some piece of chicken and turkey occasionally and its makes up less than 10% of the overall diet then that's fine and it would be considered a 'treat.' If it becomes a bigger part of the diet you should start thinking about nutritionally balancing it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ElocinSWIP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's less than 10% of their diet, and they all also get Taurine supplements and I'm considering adding omega 3 and 6 supplements since I avoid fishy foods. I'll look at Weruva too! Before the pandemic I would alternate Trader Joes brand and 4Health brand pates with the Friskies for variety, I have been relying on Chewy so I couldn't get them but I've started some shopping in person so I might start again.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeding better quality food is always a good idea. :) Honestly the quality of the food can lead to health issues later in life so it's best to always research what is in your pets food and find the best quality you can afford. Tiki cats is really good. Nulo also has some that are high in protein as well. And yes it is always good to rotate food it prevents allergies and cats from getting bored. My cats love rawz and it's not too expensive which is nice.

AshleyKaterina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I've been reading a lot from vets, and some recommend getting protein to around 50-60% for cats. I bought some high protein food (Tiki Cat Luau- the chicken and the chicken/egg ones) and am planning to use it to supplement their normal diet (Friskies Pates- Poultry Platter, Liver and Chicken, Country Style, Mixed Grill, and Turkey/Giblets in rotation). If I change out one meal (they're fed 3xs a day) with the Tiki cat they'll be at 60% protein, 38% fat, and 2% carbs. Of course it partly depends on whether they finish their meals, and they also all seem to have an affinity for human food as treats, lol, but we try to keep it minimal.

My cats are 6 month female, almost 5 year old female, and 9 year old male. They're 5 lbs, 6.5 lbs, and 11 lbs respectfully and on the friskies they eat 3 cans/day (the kitten gets supplement kitten kibble on demand, other cats only get kibble as a treat). The 6 month old has cerebellar hypoplasia, the 5 year old has a rare neuromuscular disease (I think the higher protein might be good for her because it causes her to have high muscle mass), and the 9 year old has allergic asthma (seasonal, diet doesn't seem to change it, it has problems in the spring every year and usually needs inhalers for a couple months). They're all a body score 4 or 5. No major health issues other than these- no signs of diabetes, kidney issues, urinary tract, etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any concerns or feedback? Has anyone done something similar? Thanks!
I'm just curious to know how your cats got on with the higher protein diets. My cat has a neuromuscular condition as well.

On a side note, I also avoid fishy products because mine has an allergy to them! So my vet recommended seal oil for some extra omega 3. It is actually working out nicely, his tremors have calmed down a bit. 😊

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We switched to Wysong Epigen 90 from Tiki Cat Born Carnivore, which is over 60% protein (I also liked the omega 3s, probiotics and prebiotics in it.)

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Food is controversial with lots of different opinions and personally I'm in the mindset of no diet is "one size fits all."

Let me tell you this though. My cat is currently going through some liver problems. There wasn't really a visible symptom, I learned it at routine check-up. Her ALT was 8 times higher than normal, been going down with food change and supplements since. We don't know the cause yet. She was on a high protein diet but I doubt the protein was the cause of the problem. That said, from what I see high protein (or high fat) diets get to be challenging especially for the liver and/or kidneys when the cat is already going through a problem. There ARE some health issues that actually make a high protein diet better too so what is better goes all directions. In my opinion, it's the best to check the situation with check-up, and rotate between different foods and %s from time to time to see how it goes.