6 year old with ?urinary crystals

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thecatlady3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi thecatlady3.

You are from Canada? That can be .Small world we live in.  :beerpals:   You have been given some great advice.Any canned food honey is better overall as per flushing the bladders of all your kitties.Friskies here in Canada is around 50 cents a can.There is a cat nutrition dept in this group.I believe you can find it on the homepage of this group..Sorry I had the link but flew in cyber.

Anyhow apparent scientific studies of foods etc.Supposed to be a good read.If your baby is showing bacteria make sure they do a sensitivity test to confirm what type of bacteria she has and what antibiotic it takes to kill it.This is actually growing the bacteria, which takes depending on who does it  usually 3 days.Some get results sooner.

Pls get all copies of any tests your kitty has.It will show PH which is huge for crystals.Blood,USG,rods,casts etc.All pertinent even if you do not  understand it.If you want more info on Flutd symptoms & how to prevent them & help all three from coming down with it.As it does get very expensive I know.Pls private message me.OK?

Hugs to the babies.C.:vibes:  
Thanks so much! The vet did give Zeldan cans of urinary so wet food but he won't eat it. So I've gone out and bought a few tins of various wet food to try over the next few days to see if I can find something that he can like which isn't Friskies. I phoned the vet back and asked if there's anything else but was basically told if he doesn't get on the urinary SO that this is going to be something that is forever. I'm super frustrated.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also I've heard good things about UroMaxx. I've not yet purchased it for my cats but I plan to as sometimes one of my females gets stress induced flareups every so often. I think hers is more due to cystitis, inflammation of the bladder, than an actual infection.  

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much! The vet did give Zeldan cans of urinary so wet food but he won't eat it. So I've gone out and bought a few tins of various wet food to try over the next few days to see if I can find something that he can like which isn't Friskies. I phoned the vet back and asked if there's anything else but was basically told if he doesn't get on the urinary SO that this is going to be something that is forever. I'm super frustrated.
My crystals boy refused point blank to eat the urinary wet food too, but liked the urinary kibble. He did (and does) brilliantly on a mix of approx 80% normal wet food and 20% prescription dry. I know this is slightly against your vet's recommendation, but it might be worth considering/discussing. The point of the prescription foods is that they're specifically designed to break down the crystals in a way that normal foods aren't.

The other option worth asking your vet about is supplementation. I know some raw feeders who have crystals cats add DL-methionine (the 'active' ingredient in many prescription urinary diets) to the food. It could well be worth considering if your cat adamantly refuses all prescription foods.

docdonna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know you want to stay away from fish but I use a Hartz Delectiable liquid treat with my old fella to stimulate his appetite. They are available at Walmart here in the states for 94 cents. A little pricey but it works.  I just put a little on his regular wet food and stir it in and he digs in to eat.  After I do that a couple of times I then stop putting it in. He now eats everything. You might consider some type of broth that he likes and put some in the food.  Again, you have to be creative. Hang in there. It does get better.

thecatlady3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My crystals boy refused point blank to eat the urinary wet food too, but liked the urinary kibble. He did (and does) brilliantly on a mix of approx 80% normal wet food and 20% prescription dry. I know this is slightly against your vet's recommendation, but it might be worth considering/discussing. The point of the prescription foods is that they're specifically designed to break down the crystals in a way that normal foods aren't.

The other option worth asking your vet about is supplementation. I know some raw feeders who have crystals cats add DL-methionine (the 'active' ingredient in many prescription urinary diets) to the food. It could well be worth considering if your cat adamantly refuses all prescription foods.
You know I asked about methionine and they couldn't really give any info on it. They just said they don't have anything available but the food :(

thecatlady3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know you want to stay away from fish but I use a Hartz Delectiable liquid treat with my old fella to stimulate his appetite. They are available at Walmart here in the states for 94 cents. A little pricey but it works.  I just put a little on his regular wet food and stir it in and he digs in to eat.  After I do that a couple of times I then stop putting it in. He now eats everything. You might consider some type of broth that he likes and put some in the food.  Again, you have to be creative. Hang in there. It does get better.
I bought some of these at Walmart too so that he would take his metacam!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know I asked about methionine and they couldn't really give any info on it. They just said they don't have anything available but the food :(
That sucks :( It might be worth persisting if your boy continues to have issues. Maybe your vet might be prepared to offer dosage advice if you were able to source it yourself.

As D docdonna said - hang in there. One episode of crystals doesn't necessarily mean a lifelong problem. I guy had one bad bout when he was 3. He's 13 now, and has been fine ever since. There's definitely hope :)

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a kitty that had a blockage about a year ago and I'm on a budget too. I just made sure I placed more water bowls around the house to make sure he drank more and kept him on a small amount of Friskies a day and changed his kibble to Purina UR. It's about 2 times as expensive as the store bought food I was buying. All my other cats love the dry food. I think the concentration should be on diluting the urine by getting him to drink more water and the secondary focus on the food. Stress plays a role with regards to any inflammatory processes going on and if you just can't find a food he likes I'd just go back to Friskies but make sure you encourage more water intake. It really is as simple as placing more water bowls in the path of your cat around the house.

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a kitty that had a blockage about a year ago and I'm on a budget too. I just made sure I placed more water bowls around the house to make sure he drank more and kept him on a small amount of Friskies a day and changed his kibble to Purina UR. It's about 2 times as expensive as the store bought food I was buying. All my other cats love the dry food. I think the concentration should be on diluting the urine by getting him to drink more water and the secondary focus on the food. Stress plays a role with regards to any inflammatory processes going on and if you just can't find a food he likes I'd just go back to Friskies but make sure you encourage more water intake. It really is as simple as placing more water bowls in the path of your cat around the house.
Its hard though because certain cats won't drink from any dish so a lot of times I and many others find it much easier to include the extra water in their diet. That's how cats are meant to get their fluid anyways, in their food.

I do think its a good idea what the previous posters have advised on offering the little pouches as mix ins.

katycatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could try adding some organic caned pumpkin to the wet food. It is high in fiber, good for them and helps keep them full. I have recently been looking into mixing I some with a tumeric paste regemim for my cats. And tumeric for my own people family. It's apparently really great for everyone. I also just switched my cats food to EVO. it's a dry food bytes they make wet food too. It has drastically improved my cats digestive problems

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good suggestion hexiesfriend.Many bowls or even oddball casserole dishes as kitties can be strange & want to drink out of weird things.Lol Also re:"Vet food".C/D helps dissolve crystals.Foods with the  SO index have sodium in them to promote cats to drink.I used have a bowl or weird water holder in every room.Hugs C.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good suggestion hexiesfriend.Many bowls or even oddball casserole dishes as kitties can be strange & want to drink out of weird things.Lol Also re:"Vet food".C/D helps dissolve crystals.Foods with the  SO index have sodium in them to promote cats to drink.I used have a bowl or weird water holder in every room.Hugs C.
C/d is NOT the only food that disolves crystals. All the prescription urinary diets do that - some are just more 'aggressive' (for want of a better word) than others.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good Morning Columbine.I agree C/D is not the only one.That was just for reference only.I didn't feel like listing them all out.As for some being more aggressive ,I know nothing of that.Hugs C.