6 year old cat vs. visiting toddler

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone
We have this problem with minish:
She stays every summer at my mom's summer house as an indoor-outdoor cat. It's the house she grew up in, she was raised by mom between 3 to 5 months old (we adopted her as an abandoned stray), she loves my mom and she's very territorial. Every summer she fights strays around our yard to reclaim her turf (and succeeds). She's an only cat and she had strongly reacted to some foster kittens before (no fighting but constant hissing and swatting) she is very friendly with adult humans and runs away from babies, toddlers and children. She is very protective of her personal space, we can never put her on our lap or brush her for more than a few seconds.
My niece is 2 years old and he visits for a couple of days or a week occasionally. Of course he is crazy for minish to play with him. Minish used to run away to other parts of the house (she got plenty of choices in every room and also outside) when hissing or swatting didn't work.
This time both are persistent. My niece knows minish doesn't want to play. He even takes his guard when he walks by him. But he keeps trying to play with her and when it doesn't work he throws things at her. His mom warns him but he keeps trying
As for minish, this time, she doesn't leave turf. She doesn't run away, swaps at him without claws when he approaches her less than a foot distance, then moves away only about two feet distance. I think she is very jealous since my mom's smitten by her grandson. But she seems to be interested as well. She watches him play and doesn't get agitated unless he tries to approach. She doesn't try to destroy his stuff. Sleeps very peacefully when he is not running around..
I'm only with them for a few days. I tried to make up by showing extra attention to her, but I don't know what else can or should be done. It doesn't seem right to close her up in some room or shoo her away. Both my niece and minish are under watch but, do you think my niece will be in danger? What should we do or don't do?
By the way, my niece will go away next week and come again in a month, and a few months after that.
I would very much appreciate your input.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she/he will learn once minish draws some blood just please dont punish or allow(things to be thrown)at minish or get blamed for defending herself its the adults responsibility to teach /control the kids interaction with any pets along with keeping all of them safe during interaction.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Our friends come over and bring their 4 kids all under the age of 6 with them. The kids don’t have any cats so they are absolutely fascinated by our two. Our two cats don’t ever see small humans and keep their distance. We try and set the boundaries of when kitty is in a certain room that is their safe place and the kids can’t go in. They try and push it a bit but it works.

Now with Minish not retreating that does get trickier. If your mom is ok with it maybe adding some cat shelves or heights that Minish can watch from a distance without feeling threatened or being in range. 2 years old is also quite young and I understand how the rules aren’t being followed.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be best, and safest, under the circumstances to shut the cat in a room while the toddler is visiting. In a couple years you can work on the two having interactions but right now the child is too young to respect the cats needs.