6 week 'pregnant' cat, still very small and showing no physical signs of pregnancy.

anacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

I am new here but I thought I would join to ask you guys for some advice/opinions.

My calico tabby was mated (first mating) on 11th March. Judging from that time I've estimated her due date to be around 15th May...

Around now she should be in her 6th week but I am starting to wonder whether the matings were successful or not.

I am treating her as pregnant, and feeding her on quality food (raw and kitten food every few days). Her eating habits have not changed much, she eats often but very small amounts.

But I am starting to wonder whether she is pregnant or not as she has not shown any obvious physical signs...

Her nipples do not seem to be pink or any larger/swollen although it is pretty hard to tell as she doesn't like me near her tummy and her belly/sides do not appear to be enlarged at all.

However, she has stopped calling since her mating and I have noticed some personality changes.

The first 4 weeks she became very moody and disinterested in the other cats and any human contact (which is rare as she is a very friendly cat!) and these last 2 weeks she has been very friendly, even moreso than before. She is on my lap the whole time!

I have experience with pedigree pregnant cats and I know the pregnant signs and what to look for, just this cat is baffling me as she is not showing anything and pretty far along =/ Help?

Maybe she is not pregnant at all? Maybe she is pregnant with only 1 kitten? Maybe she will get a growth spurt sometime soon!

Please do not tell me to take her to the vet to confirm, I would just like to know if anyone has a similar experience.

6 week 'pregnant' cat, still very small and showing no physical signs of pregnancy. Although calling has stopped and personality has changed.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she seen a vet?  I am sorry but no one can tell you for sure on this.  At this stage in pregnancy, they should be able to confirm it.  She may not be or may be experiencing a "false pregnancy", a lot of times they can have symptoms of being pregnant without actually being so.  Or it could be a very small litter of only 1 or 2.  I don't think anyone but a vet can tell you for sure right now. 

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one girl who doesn't pink up and mine usually don't get too round until around 6 weeks. Could be anything really, reabsorbed, small litter. If she won't allow you to feel her belly it makes it hard.

I've only had one singleton litter but you could tell the girl was pregnant, see and feel the bub moving around.

You'll just have to wait and see, I don't see any reason to stress a possible pregnant girl with a vet visit unless you really must know rather than wait it out. What breed? long hair breeds of course are more difficult to see changes on.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

anacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, she is a tortie tabby and white BSH =)

Good to know that you have a girl who does not pink up too! Was it hard for you to determine whether she was pregnant then? At what stage did you know for sure?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both times it was really just wait and see, we do figure that they've taken though. one time she was a sneaky mater too so none were witnessed or heard by the stud owner, she just stayed there for about 5 weeks. She is fine with me touching all over but not the breeder and being a plane ride away it's just easier to leave her there a while.

I have a friend who breeds coloured Brits 

Last edited: