6 week old weaning kitten

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a rescued kitten that we have had for a few weeks. She has had a rough start but I think she's on track now. Her last vet check up last week went well and she's been making progress, but today she won't touch her bottle. She has been latching well before now. She is weaning and she is still eating meat (wet kitten food) but everything I've read says she should continue to get formula up to about 8 weeks. She's just not taking it from the bottle anymore. I am mixing it in with her meat.

Is this normal? I can't find anyone else who has had this issue or whether this is just something that happens sometimes? She's never loved the bottle I think but she took it because she was hungry. It seems like now she just would rather not deal with it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s normal. Just mix it with her wet food, or put it in a separate dish for her to lap. Leave out dry kitten chow for between meals. Growing kittens are always hungry and need to eat frequently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been about 5 hours and she only wants to sleep right now. I can figure out if the meat she's eating is enough. When should we worry? I am perpetually worried 😫

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She should be fed small amounts about 6 times a day. She will eat when she’s hungry. Kittens sleep a lot, like cats — about 16 hours a day, particularly in the afternoon.