6 week old kitten won't eat

K.xllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been fostering a litter of four kittens with a mom. Two days ago the mother got really sick and had to be moved from the home. All of the kittens have been eating wet food and milk as well as drinking water regularly only hardly feeding off mom. About a day after mom left one of the kittens has stopped eating the milk/wet food mixture over the and is very lathargic, he will only eat a very little with a syringe. Also, the four all have constant diarrhea. They get dewormed and their first shots in about a week and if he doesn't start eating within a day I'm going to take him to the vet but I would really appreciate any input on what you think might be going on. I think he might be missing mom but I'm worried it could be some health issue.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may be missing mom but kittens usually eat anyway. Since the mom was sick, I would be concerned about the kitten too. It could be something as simple as parasites. Maybe competition with the others for food too. If he is timid he may get pushed out a bit. Lethargic and they all have constant diarrhea? I am wondering about coccidia. Get that baby tatted and it may tell you what the others need too. There are medicines for coccidia. The mom could have had that too. Any news on how mom cat is doing or any diagnosis there? That would be helpful. Definitely get the baby to the vet. Dehydration is a real problem for little ones. Keep him hydrated. Clear, unflavored pedialyte can help in an emergency. You mentioned giving milk. Cats don’t digest cows milk , that could cause diarrhea but kitten milk replacement is fine. Goats milk is okay too. Thank goodness you took these babies in! Please do keep us updated and come back with any questions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

K.xllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The diagnosis for the mother was some issue with her liver or pancreas, that's all the information I got. I know they tested for FIP and FLV and they both came back negative.

I am using kitten milk replacement with sensitive stomach wet food for kittens. The mother had digestive issues unless she was on sensitive stomach food so I thought the kittens might be the same but the sensitive stomach wet food doesn't seem to make a difference.

I've never heard of coccidia, I'll definitely read up on it. All the other kittens have a normal appetite and energy levels, it just seems to be affecting the one baby. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What color is the diarrhea? Bright yellow indicates coccidia, which can be cured with Albon. Do try to syringe pedialyte in to the sick kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

K.xllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's not bright yellow, it's a light - dark brown depending on the kitten but all very wet and liquidy. They are off to the vet as we speak so I'll keep this updated.