6 months old persian severe diarrhea

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have not seen this mentioned yet, but a small amount of canned PURE pumpkin (no extra spices or other additives or ingredients) added to the food or even fed separately if the cat likes it, can help balance out the stool. Some cats really like the pumpkin, too, and they eat it happily.

I say "balance out the stool", because it can help with both diarrhea (D) and constipation (C). You may want to talk with your vet or a feline-focused vet about this... I always suggest consulting with a vet when treating a medical condition. But or vet when I was a tech often used pumpkin to help with stool issues, either as a sole treatment in some cases, or in addition to other medication to treat a problem (D or C).

If you decide to go with the pumpkin, look for canned pumpkin that says 100% pure, and has nothing else added. In the US, Libby's brand is one option.

1575479236533.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Denis31M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could have been mucus? Is his diarrhea particularly smelly?

The thing with some vets is that most of them have more experience with dogs than cats, people bring dogs to the vet more than cats. And they are very different. So your vet might be great with your pup, but not necessarily with the kitten. In some countries there are cats only vets and they truly can be a blessing making huge difference when a cat is sick.

My understanding is that if it was IBD, the changes would be somewhat visible on the USG. I’m tagging some members that I know have cats in IBD to hopefully get their insights: @LTS3, @daftcat75

Tritrichomonas foetus is not a virus, it’s parasite (like giardia, coccidia). It’s very normal that cats act otherwise normal when they have it, in fact, some infected cats don’t even have any symptoms. Plus, cats are wired to hide their pain very well (they’re potential prey in nature so they need to hide any discomfort for survival).
Actually, his stool since yesterday (the strange one included) aren’t smelly at all. Before that, they were having a really awful smell. I don’t think it could’ve been mucus, since it vas kind of like a plastic bag. Shiny and it was compact. You could pick it up all in one pice. I didn’t try to rip it.
I really don’t think that we have a cat vet here... I’m more than willing to get a second opinion, but I really don’t know were. Everyone that goes to a vet usually appreciates their services because they saved his/hers animal, and that was my case. I don’t know who else to trust. My friends go with their cats at other vets, but how would I know which one should I trust...

Denis31M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not seen this mentioned yet, but a small amount of canned PURE pumpkin (no extra spices or other additives or ingredients) added to the food or even fed separately if the cat likes it, can help balance out the stool. Some cats really like the pumpkin, too, and they eat it happily.

I say "balance out the stool", because it can help with both diarrhea (D) and constipation (C). You may want to talk with your vet or a feline-focused vet about this... I always suggest consulting with a vet when treating a medical condition. But or vet when I was a tech often used pumpkin to help with stool issues, either as a sole treatment in some cases, or in addition to other medication to treat a problem (D or C).

If you decide to go with the pumpkin, look for canned pumpkin that says 100% pure, and has nothing else added. In the US, Libby's brand is one option.

View attachment 310604
I’m going to ask the vet when I go tomorrow about this method too. I never heard of it, but I’m new in this ,,cat business”, and, clearly, not too good. I’m trying not to blame myself, but the fact that I can’t make him better and that he’s suffering next to me and I don’t even know what’s wrong with him makes me feel horrible. I don’t know what should I do and I know that if I make the wrong decision it could cost him his life...

Denis31M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
An update: the vet told me to bring a sample of that strange poop that I was talking about. No parasites. Of course... what can I say. I haven’t had the chance to ask about PCR. We only talked over the phone. I’m going to ask him tomorrow.

Denis31M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He just pooped one the carpet. A big diarrhea stool. I’m so scared. So so scared...
310D6B9C-62B6-49C9-B567-0AFCA5E474A3.jpeg

This is Louis...

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, his stool since yesterday (the strange one included) aren’t smelly at all. Before that, they were having a really awful smell. I don’t think it could’ve been mucus, since it vas kind of like a plastic bag. Shiny and it was compact. You could pick it up all in one pice. I didn’t try to rip it.
I really don’t think that we have a cat vet here... I’m more than willing to get a second opinion, but I really don’t know were. Everyone that goes to a vet usually appreciates their services because they saved his/hers animal, and that was my case. I don’t know who else to trust. My friends go with their cats at other vets, but how would I know which one should I trust...
Smelly diarrhea could indicate parasites, and if it stopped smelling it can mean that some of the meds he’s on helped. If he’s getting metronidazole it can mean he has giardia, buy not only. I know you’ve just had another fecal test done, but it probably was fecal float again, which doesn’t mean parasites are not present in a cat, but only that there are no cysts in the sample. It often gives false negative results, especially when the test is done when the treatment continues. That’s why I mentioned PCR as it’s so much more reliable. If your vet is unable to send it to Idexx, maybe they can send the sample for still better tests, eg. Elisa (for giardia). Or if you’re really motivated, check German Idexx labs site yourself and ask them how to send them the sample, preferably with the vets engagement. Google Translate works pretty good with German if you don’t speak it yourself (I’d write the message in English and translate it through google, and send them email with both versions).
Have you searched for any local forum for cat lovers in your country/city? They can be a great referral source for good vets, experienced in cats.
If that thing in his poop was plastic like, maybe that is a blockage after all? Not only hairball creates blockages but also foreign bodies that cat could have eaten.

I’ve never seen canned pumpkin in Europe so you may have hard time finding it :)) although I agree it could be very helpful. Maybe you could try using fresh pumpkin if you could still find it (season is over I believe).

And believe me, you are excellent cat parent!! You research, you investigate, you ask questions, you care a lot. That’s way more that most cat owners would do. Hang in there! I’m sure the situation is not than bad!
I’m attaching some information about PCR diarrhea panel, it’s old sheet but I don’t have time now to look for the newer one, but something like that might be useful when you talk to the vet tomorrow, so that they know what This panel checks for. Just remember to make sure the potential sample for PCR must meet certain requirements; I think it must be fresh, I don’t think you can send it while your cat is on antibiotics but you need to confirm it.

Best of luck!!!!

Denis31M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so so much!! I really hope after talking with the vet we will manage to send a sample for PCR. I’m thinking of getting another opinion so I’ll soon start my research for good cat doctors and see what I can find. I’m trying not to get my hopes up, though. Here we don’t have that many forums (most of them are inactive since 2015).