6 months later, Fancy Feast apparently 'sucks'

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mocha isn’t wild about the chopped grill either, although she’ll eat most of it. And she doesn’t love the turkey, but again, she’ll eat most of it. I haven’t tried any of the fish flavors. I’m baffled about the run on FF pâtés. I’ve looked in three grocery stores and one pet store, and the pâtés are mostly gone.
I haven't had any trouble getting the beef, chicken, and turkey/giblets. But, the other 3 (beef/chicken, beef/liver, & liver/chicken have been hard to come by. Maybe because the first 3 can be purchased in a variety pack of 24 or 30 cans - almost anywhere for me. But, the latter 3 have to be bought separately, there is no variety pack for them. Not sure why that would make them harder to get unless most people buy by the can and not the variety packs.

But, now that you mention it, I did see gaping holes on the shelves for some of the fish flavored pates (which I don't normally buy either). Last I checked, Walmart had the first 3 I mentioned, as did PetSmart, and Pet Supplies Plus (locally for me at least). I think Chewy had those too - but, of course in either the variety pack or individual flavors also in 24 or 30 can counts.

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Paws and Claws from Tractor Supply? The 3ounce can is what my two get at night,just like Fancy Feast ( which they are not crazy about either) classic pate.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried Paws and Claws from Tractor Supply? The 3ounce can is what my two get at night,just like Fancy Feast ( which they are not crazy about either) classic pate.
I’ve seen people recommend that, but unfortunately the closest Tractor Supply is 35 miles away. Good to remember, though, because if it’s ever a choice between my cat not eating and making a 70-mile round trip, I’ll make the drive!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried Paws and Claws from Tractor Supply? The 3ounce can is what my two get at night, just like Fancy Feast ( which they are not crazy about either) classic pate.
I do have one Tractor Supply in the area, farther away than I normally travel, but only 4 flavors are available in the 5.5 oz can, two of which are fish and I generally stay away from fish for Feeby. The rest of the available flavors are in either 13 oz or 22 oz cans - which would end up in some waste since I only have one cat. Because that is the only wet cat food they offer, and the travel distance, I kind of decided not to try them.

They also contain rice flour in addition to guar gum - not sure why. And, now that I suspect liver is a enticer for Feeby, none of them have that as part of their ingredients unless it is included in the 'meat-by-products'.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’ve seen people recommend that, but unfortunately the closest Tractor Supply is 35 miles away. Good to remember, though, because if it’s ever a choice between my cat not eating and making a 70-mile round trip, I’ll make the drive!
You should be able to look up that local store on-line and find what they have in stock, just so you know whether they offer the flavors/sizes you would want.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only been feeding Fancy Feast pates to Feeby for just about 6 months, and it would seem she is getting 'over them'. She was eating 6 flavors - beef, chicken, turkey & giblets, beef & chicken, beef & liver, and chicken & liver. The latter 3 are essentially out of stock at most local stores - for at least two weeks. Whether or not that has anything to do with her lack luster desire for FF, I don't know. I haven't been feeding her much of the fish related ones as she doesn't seem to like them as well (or, didn't). I haven't resorted to ordering on line, as one has to order at least a case (24 cans) of a single flavor - with the exception of a variety pack of the beef, chicken, and turkey. There is no variety pack for the latter 3 flavors, so if she is going to stop wanting to eat FF altogether, it is not my desire to buy over 70 cans of food to offer her the other three flavors she was used to getting.

So where do I go from here?

The reason I started feeding her FF is because she also got tired of her urinary care canned foods. She will eat Sheba Perfect Portions so far, but they are really a bit ridiculous in price to solely buy her those, given she should be eating about 250 calories per day. Bone broths and bonito flakes are a non-starter for her in so far as adding toppers to her current food. She will also NOT eat any texture besides pate.

Help...
I wish Fudgey would eat pate

siruh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would recommend RAWZ PATE. They have many flavors, and they market their products as having no carageenan/gums. Rawz is only available at independent retailers though, so you won’t find it at major stores like Petco/Petsmart.

100% Rendered Free Cat Food | RAWZ

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, still on the search for 'gravies' - without chunks of meat (and vegies) in them. Not finding much. What gravy/liquid type toppers do you all use to add to canned food? Feeby is licking her food dry and adding water isn't as effective as it used to be. I've tried some of the broths, which helps her finish her food, but I end up throwing out the chunky stuff as she refuses to eat those parts.

Has anyone used mousse as a topper? I see Tiki Cat has one or two that might be worth trying that don't contain too much 'junk'. Are there other brands?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've searched for gravy for days, found one on Amazon but has been discontinued. You would have thought it would be easy to buy but no.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've searched for gravy for days, found one on Amazon but has been discontinued. You would have thought it would be easy to buy but no.
I know!!! It doesn't make any sense!!!! I am not a good cook, but I swear I should take up creating gravies for cats - and, then sell the recipes to some company that would like to make money off of them (I would NOT get into the cat food making business to sell myself.)

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
What gravy/liquid type toppers do you all use to add to canned food?
I used the Beech-Nut turkey + turkey broth baby food as a topper when Mocha stopped eating her homemade food for awhile. I prefer Beech-Nut to Gerber because Gerber adds cornstarch. Both are salt free though with no other ingredients besides meat and broth.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used the Beech-Nut turkey + turkey broth baby food as a topper when Mocha stopped eating her homemade food for awhile. I prefer Beech-Nut to Gerber because Gerber adds cornstarch. Both are salt free though with no other ingredients besides meat and broth.
Our cats loved Beech-Nut turkey and chicken foods during the one stretch we fed it. (After a cat ate a plant!)

I've added "chicken water" -- from poaching boneless chicken thighs for human food -- to the cats' food and they really like that. Primal sells frozen goat milk that cats allegedly love. We have a bottle of it that's been in the freezer since the pre-COVID months. (Note to self: must use this!)

For our cats, though, it's crumbled freeze-dried chicken treats (Pure Bites) that will make them eat just about anything. You can pulverize them to dust if need be.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a good cook myself, and I've never in my life cooked any meat before, but I starter making homemade broth for my guys and they love it. For me its as easy as putting several chicken drumsticks with water in the slowcooker overnight and then freezing portioned broth (I use baby food jars for it). My guys love this mixed with their food. My gravy lover especially loves it when I put a jar with his pate food&this broth in the pot with hot water and stir for 3 minutes, I believe the fat dissolves that way and it creates ideal gravy texture for him.

As for wet toppers available commercially, apart from baby food, my guys love VitaKraft lickable treats and will eat anything with it, including horrible tasting medication.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WLZ6P9C/?tag=thecatsite
It's not the best ingredients but not the worst either for a product like this.

I've also heard similar opinion about Churu treats, but they are with fish, plus surprisingly, none of my cats wanted to even lick it....
Inaba Churu Grain-Free Chicken, Tuna, Scallop Puree Variety Pack Lickable Cat Treat, 0.5-oz tube, pack of 20 - Chewy.com

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
The Beechnut baby food is hard to come by locally anyway.
I know! I had a real challenge finding it around here. Fred Meyer (a Kroger affiliate and our regular store) had no meat baby food at all. I finally found a few jars at Albertsons which owns several other grocery stores such as Safeway. Very frustrating.

I took Northwest Naturals pork liver treats and used my microplaner to create powder. That’s been the most popular topper for the Picky Trio recently.

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
T
Also, still on the search for 'gravies' - without chunks of meat (and vegies) in them. Not finding much. What gravy/liquid type toppers do you all use to add to canned food? Feeby is licking her food dry and adding water isn't as effective as it used to be. I've tried some of the broths, which helps her finish her food, but I end up throwing out the chunky stuff as she refuses to eat those parts.

Has anyone used mousse as a topper? I see Tiki Cat has one or two that might be worth trying that don't contain too much 'junk'. Are there other brands?
Stella and Chewy morsels might be worth a try, though they are expensive. I’ve only had the turkey flavor so not sure about the other ones, but the turkey is almost a mousse texture, not little chunks like I expected given it’s called morsels.