6 month old stray/semi-feral cat help

mbryson6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I moved into a new apartment complex in August and saw a kitten running around alone. He was too fast for me to catch, but I rediscovered him at the beginning of this week living in a sewer, eating out of the garbage. I fed him, but he wouldn't let me get too close when he ate. I decided to trap him in a raccoon cage and take him in since the temperatures have dropped drastically this week. I took him to the vet and he is relatively healthy with the exception of ear mites. I have been keeping him in my bathroom with a cat cave, food, water, and a litter box. I have a cat post and another cat cave ordered. I know I have done good by getting him medical attention, but I'm very conflicted about whether I have done the right thing by taking him in. He has not shown me any signs of aggression other than hissing at me when I get too close too fast. However, he does not trust me enough to eat in front of me and will not come out of the cat cave unless its the middle of the night and I am asleep. I know it takes time to socialize a cat, but I am not sure whether he is too feral to socialize or not. I understand he is uncomfortable with me because I took him from his raccoon friends and the only home he knew, but I don't know if I will be able to recover any trust with him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Hang on, he just needs time :)

Sit on the floor with him, and sometimes read to him, but don't look directly at him-that can seem aggressive to cats. Play some cat music for him, and you might consider a purr toy that he could snuggle with.

Otherwise, just ease up on your expectations and be less intense/more relaxed. You've done an awesome thing, and try and understand that from his perspective, he's learning as fast as he can about you, your routines, the sounds and smells inside and outside your home, and that things are going to be ok. That you're only getting a little hissing is pretty darn incredibly positive!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved into a new apartment complex in August and saw a kitten running around alone. He was too fast for me to catch, but I rediscovered him at the beginning of this week living in a sewer, eating out of the garbage. I fed him, but he wouldn't let me get too close when he ate. I decided to trap him in a raccoon cage and take him in since the temperatures have dropped drastically this week. I took him to the vet and he is relatively healthy with the exception of ear mites. I have been keeping him in my bathroom with a cat cave, food, water, and a litter box. I have a cat post and another cat cave ordered. I know I have done good by getting him medical attention, but I'm very conflicted about whether I have done the right thing by taking him in. He has not shown me any signs of aggression other than hissing at me when I get too close too fast. However, he does not trust me enough to eat in front of me and will not come out of the cat cave unless its the middle of the night and I am asleep. I know it takes time to socialize a cat, but I am not sure whether he is too feral to socialize or not. I understand he is uncomfortable with me because I took him from his raccoon friends and the only home he knew, but I don't know if I will be able to recover any trust with him.
It's a very long road, but he will learn to trust you and it may take months.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You did the right thing for him. His raccoon friends are better equipped to survive the winter and I am sure that he knows that he is in a safe and protected place. This does take time and if he truly wanted out, you would seem more signs than just hissing.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You totally did the right thing! Feral life for a cat is extremely tough. Also can be very short, hungry, cold, painful etc. depending on circumstances. Breeding season makes life ever tougher. You saved him from a lot of hard times and have given him the chance at a wonderful life. He just doesn’t understand yet what is happening and how great it will be to have safe sanctuary and lots of love. This does come in time. I have socialized a lot of kitties, including old toms. Calm, patience, care and love will give him the confidence to return everything, and more. Imagine if you were a little kitty and suddenly entered a new world. New sounds, smells, good, a human standing over you and you weren’t sure yet what all this means. The place is comfortable, the food is yummy but can you trust it? When kitty knows trust is safe, things will change. Thank you so much for taking this little one out of the sewer! That was a very risky place to live. The raccoons may have been friendly but that could have changed or a predator might have shown up. You are a kitty hero! :clap2: Please keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbryson6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
I cannot thank you enough for these messages. They are all so supportive and uplifting I have been crying reading them. As a quick update, he seems a lot less scared of me than normal. I've been able to establish a food schedule with him and he is using his litter box finally! Also, he hasn't hissed at me since Friday and he seems to be really cozying up in his little cat cave! Again, I cannot express how thankful I am of the support you all have given me! I'll continue to post updates on our progress together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbryson6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, I hope you have all been doing well. Moon and I have now spent around a week and a half together and it has been going fairly smoothly. However, he has dug his way into a deep cupboard in my bathroom that is hard for me to access. I initially blocked it off but he has somehow wedged himself in there. I understand it is important for me to be able to have access to him, but I am unsure of whether it necessary for me to physically remove him or not, as I don't want to scare him even more by forcefully removing him from his safe space. Please let me know what I should do!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you lure him back out with treats/smelly food, such as tuna?
I'm guessing if he's not literally stuck, that he should come out on his own eventually.