6 month old Kitten has High Liver Levels

Redsleigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have a 6 month old (indoor only) kitten that was scheduled to get spayed this morning. However, they called me and said that her ALT WAS 331 U/L (normal 12-130). Her AST was 76 U/L (normal 0-48), and ALKP U/L 113 (normal 14-111). They said she appeared to not have any issues (no fever, tenderness, and acting normally). They asked about any plants (all mine have been outdoors), and prescriptions (she is not on any). We are rescheduled to go back in 2 weeks to re-test and hopefully it will have gone down. He said she could have possibly injured herself (falling) or it could be something else which he went over a big list. I am clueless. Has anyone ever had high levels before and then go back down or did it turn out to be something more series? Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
One thing about the liver is that it is an organ with the amazing ability to repair itself, so hopefully your baby recovers :vibes::crossfingers::hearthrob:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Redsleigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will, thank you so much!
She seems to be her normal self. How we got her were my in-laws were coming to house sit (they drove 5 hours to our house) when we had to go out of town. They arrived at night, and the next day they kept hearing a kitten cry, but could not find out where it was coming from. After doing quite a bit of searching they found her in some spring (stuck) on their vehicle that was next to the exhaust pipe (I am still confused on where they are talking about)? They had no idea how she even got there, but my Father-in-law swears when he had stopped for gas he had heard a kitten crying, but did not think much of it cause he thought it came from another vehicle however, she appeared to be fine. I did take her to the vet for her shots and they looked her over when I got home and they said she was fine, but they never did any blood work. I just wonder if she had been breathing in all that exhaust if that could have caused her to have high liver results so many months later? I did talk to the vet about it, but he said it was not likely, but if we can’t figure out what’s going on we will come back to that.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could be still recovering from near starvation, which tends to throw liver values off, even months later. My husband had consistently high liver values and then they normalized, so it can happen, in humans as well as cats. I just pray that her values will improve back to normal. There are liver supplements on amazon and other pet med sites that wouldn't hurt, just make sure to ask your vet first. She may have been crushed in that coil suspension spring that she was stuck in too, and caused an injury. That would take a while to heal. all the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Redsleigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE:
Hello! Thank you everyone for your encouraging responses! I wanted to give an update. About a 1.5 weeks ago my cat was puking and having diarrhea. I brought her in and they rechecked her blood. They said her liver test came out normal, but her kidney function was a little high. Her stool sample came out with no problems, and they did not know was wrong with her so they put her on some antibiotic to see if that would help, which it did. Now I brought her to the vet this morning to get spade and they ran her blood work again and now her liver ALT WAS 1,847 U/L (normal 12-130). He said they ran it in the machine 3x to make sure it was accurate. So he has no idea what is going on.

Muggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I had a cat with high liver numbers and I believe it was the result of a condition that affected her appetite as she was not eating much. My vet prescribed her this supplement and she completely bounced back! This supplement may be worth a try! It comes in liquid form but the smell and taste was awful so I opted for capsules.
1605780002442.jpeg