6 - 7 week old kitten - blood in poop?

iunaic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought home a 6-7 week old kitten a couple days ago. He had diarrhea the first two days that cleared up pretty quick. He eats Fancy Feast wet food (usually chicken or beef, as tuna and whitefish do not agree with him.) and still drinks kitten milk. 

Just a little bit ago, he had a pee and struggled to poop. He held onto the litter box while pooping, and I could tell he was struggling. I wiped his butt (as there is usually some poop residue on it) and found some blood. I checked his poop and there was some blood there, too. His poop if very dark in colour, with some greenish-yellow and very minimal red. I'm concerned he has worms even though I haven't noticed any in his litter box. 

He seems fine other than the blood in his poop. He's still running around, still playing, still drinking his milk, and still eating his food. I usually leave the milk and wet food out, replacing his milk every hour (if he hasn't had it all), and now I'm worried he's been eating and drinking milk and food that has been siting our too long. 

Thoughts? Any advice is appreciated! I plan to take him to the vet ASAP.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
You're on the right track in planning to take him to the vet. Even though you don't see any parasites in his stool, not all parasites are visible to the naked eye.

Do you know what kind of canned food he was eating before?  Sometimes cats develop digestive problems when they switch food too soon, which might explain the abnormal stool and blood from straining. 

In terms of leaving the canned food out - you probably shouldn't leave it out longer than 30 minutes, especially if you live where it's currently summer.  It's prime conditions for bacteria to rapidly multiply.  I imagine that's probably true of the milk as well, although I've not used that before. 

Please let us know what you find out.  Hopefully it's something easily resolved.  And,btw, congratulations on your new family member.  What is your kitten's name?  Be sure to share photos if you've got some.  We love photos around here. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If what you saw appeared to be fresh blood, then it could actually have been from being constipated, since you said he appeared to be struggled to go.  That happens sometimes and is usually nothing to worry about. 

Did you adopt him from a shelter?  If so, they should have checked him for worms, etc., but if that's not the case, then I wold definitely get him checked out, as worms in kittens are very common.

Congrats on your new furbaby, BTW
  We love seeing pictures