5 year old Female Cat acting strange

tatonka1233

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a spayed female cat named Duracell, lately she has been more lazy that usual. She likes to wait by a door or gate for someone to open it, even if it takes 5 minutes. She will go by her litterbox and lick the carpet, where litter is. I make her stop but she will go back and do it again. She hasn’t been eating as much so I decided to check her teeth to makes sure she didn’t get a stick stuck in her mouth. Her gums were light pink, so I don’t know if that good, because I have heard that any animal with light colored gums could probably die. So I’m a little scared right now, I’m not sure what to do. I’ve raised her since birth and I want her to be healthy.
So if you have anything that would be helpful to me, please let me know. ❤

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there, a cat being lethargic and licking the litter doesn't sound good to me. I think that a visit at the vet's should be what you have to consider.
The gums being light colored isn't a problem, a light pink color is the color they should have, if I understand what you said right. Whitish gums are a sign of something not going well, or reddish of inflamed gums need to be checked.
Can you post a photo of the gums?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tatonka1233

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, a cat being lethargic and licking the litter doesn't sound good to me. I think that a visit at the vet's should be what you have to consider.
The gums being light colored isn't a problem, a light pink color is the color they should have, if I understand what you said right. Whitish gums are a sign of something not going well, or reddish of inflamed gums need to be checked.
Can you post a photo of the gums?
B0DFC25E-EEB3-4D85-93C0-0EC203E0BEA4.jpeg

I am low on money right now, so I’ve been saving up enough to take her to the vet, I want to be sure that I have the money to get her the best care.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, unless it's an effect of the flash light, those gums are a little on the pale side, in my opinion. Even the nose seems too whitish...
I think that you might want to take her to the vet sooner than when you think you have enough money.
Talk to the vet, and ask them if they accept a delayed payment.

tatonka1233

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, unless it's an effect of the flash light, those gums are a little on the pale side, in my opinion. Even the nose seems to whitish...
I think that you might want to take her to the vet sooner than whe you think you have enough money.
Talk to the vet, and ask them if they accept a delayed payment.
I will send a picture of her gums when it is light out so you can see better. But I will definitely call all the vet offices around me to see if they offer the delayed payment. thank you, is there anything i can do for her that might help at home until she goes in?

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep her as stress free as possible. If you have other pets, keep them away from her. Maybe try to offer her food she can smell easily like a fish pate or gravy - whichever she prefers. Make sure she has plenty of fresh water near by. Also, if/when you take her to the vet, please make sure they are following Covid-19 guidelines. Just a word of caution.

tatonka1233

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep her as stress free as possible. If you have other pets, keep them away from her. Maybe try to offer her food she can smell easily like a fish pate or gravy - whichever she prefers. Make sure she has plenty of fresh water near by. Also, if/when you take her to the vet, please make sure they are following Covid-19 guidelines. Just a word of caution.
yes, i have made an appointment for monday at my local vet office. so i will update you more when she goes in. I’ve been to this office 1 other time since covid-19 struck, and they follow very strict guidelines.

tatonka1233

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just checking in to see how it went at the vet. I hope Duracell is feeling better?!
It went good, Duracell was given some medicine to help stop throwing up and ny vet said that she was anemic but not severe. She had some minor flea infestations that I had tried to treat at home, bc of cost of the medicine from a veterinarian. He believes that could be why she has been acting the way she has lately. I was also given some high calorie nutritional gel for her.